Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: First it was the Jewish book meme, now it's education...

May 24, 2006

First it was the Jewish book meme, now it's education...

Education / Teaching Books
Education / Teaching Books Education / Teaching Books Education / Teaching Books
Damn that NaniRolls. She tagged me for a book meme. Yes, a BOOK MEME. Being that we're English teachers and good friends (thanks to this blog where we met over a year ago), I must amuse her and follow through. So, here are my education books. I strongly suggest you click the pics to see them larger. I must make a confession, I haven't really read most of them. I mean, sure I've perused, gathered something here or there...but I digress.

Oh, but wait, the Shakespeare Set Free book is the best resource. Any teacher teaching Shakespeare MUST get these. Also, I must thank Nani because when I pulled "Savage Inqualities" off my shelf, there was a letter in it from my mom. She bought me the book for my birthday in May of 1999. It's a lovely letter that has not been seen for 7 years.

Oh, and I have no clue who to tag, so would two teachers who read this please volunteer. Thanks :)

6 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

Nani, that is FAR from the truth. You know that. You have years experience and you've actually READ your books. Mine just make me look smart on the shelf.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger HappyChyck said...

I agree! Shakespeare Set Free is the best! My book is well-worn and well-loved.

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks impressive though, just the same Tamara. Me, I want to know where the poetry went, (but don't tell me, I already know)!

There's several decent poetry compilations out there, Garrison Keillor's 'Good Poems', try also great 'The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry', as well as some of Billy Collins' collected works, and several by Robert Pinsky; 'Americans' Favorite Poems'. Why? Pinsky again: 'Democracy, Culture and the Voice of Poetry (The University Center for Human Values Series)' and also this gem for food for thought:

'Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach'
by Sam M. Intrator (Editor), Megan Scribner (Editor), Parker J. Palmer, Tom Vanderark

This is to reach the unreachables, to touch the untouchables. But it's still basic English, it's just too bad it's no longer being suggested or thought about much. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

I touch on poetry (well ideally, I'm new and still figuring it all out). The poetry stuff comes from the student's text. THese are books I mostly got for free from conventions and workshops, or when I was in schoo. VJ, cut me some slack, I've only been teaching 1.5 years :)

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just some suggestions for the future Tamara, not an indictment of anyone. I'm glad that someone (Pinsky for one) is still passing out the poetry books for free. It's just a comment on the larger culture of English and how we communicate. Seemingly today if it's not bullet points in a Power Point presentation, no one is likely to read it. This is a tremendous loss to everyone if it continues on.

And you still have your close combat and bayonet training to complete too! ;> Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a fine recommendation from Nani too! Thanks for noticing. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home