Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Jewish Books that Define Me (TG's challenge)

May 22, 2006

Jewish Books that Define Me (TG's challenge)

TikkunGer proposed a fun Blog activity relating to Jewish books that define us. I did a similar thing over a year and a half ago but the premise was which books to take if you were stuck on an island or something like that. So, afterwork I gathered my Jewish books, so enjoy the results. Not sure what it can tell you about me because, the truth is, I haven't read nearly all of them. But they make me look cool sitting on my shelf ;)

I tag the following people to take the TkGer's Book Challenge: Annabel Lee, Hilary, Gatsby, Mia, and KnifeEdge

IMG_1028 IMG_1032

IMG_1031 IMG_1029
CLICK THE PICS FOR MORE NOTES

8 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tamara, no collection is complete without THE JEWISH BOOK OF WHY. I thought everyone got that book for their bar/bat mitzvah?!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Hil: This isn't my Jewish book list. But, since you know enough to know this about me, my Bat Mitzvah was not typical and I didn't get that book. However, it was always in my home as my mother has it. :) I'm accepting donations if you got two for you Bat Mitzvah ;)

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

I guess the book that would best describe me would be, 'Talking Tachlis', by Rosie Einhorn and Sherry Zimmerman, because I work in Shidduchim.
And I'm always talking tachlis!

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Not all the titles were clear but you seem to have a great collection, enough to keep anyone bored busy for a long time.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Prag: Click the photos, then you can surely see the titles. :)

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

Wow, what can I say you have got a well-rounded and lovely Jewish book collection.

I do spy with my little eye.....

Some nice theological works.

Some Jewish fictional literature, something I do not myself have.

And most importantly in my opinion, you have got to lovely, huge books by Rabbi Tulushkin, I only have one. I have to say that he is one of my favorites in terms of presenting the ABC's of applied Jewish ethical & spiritual living.

seriously that is a lovely book collection you have got going there and I think it's even bigger than mine, which really is not all that big, but nonetheless of decent size.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will get to this soon I hope...but my computer's power cord is on loan to a friend, so I'm living on battery power until I get it back. So this may have to wait until after Mem Day weekend.

FWIW, I don't own "The Jewish Book of Why" either, though my parents do.

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although late to the meme, I was thinking about what might be missing here, and came up with one of my favorites; Both of these by the learned late scholar and diplomat Abba Eban:
Both of these from 1984.

'Heritage: Civilization and the Jews'
by Abba Eban. (Also a wonderful video set)

and

'My People: The Story of the Jews'
by Abba Eban.

There's also plenty of Holocaust literature, some of it very good and recent that's still important and relevant today. Even if many folks might find the theme a bit tiresome after so many years. It did inform the outlook of Jews for generations, and still does of course. Cheers, 'VJ'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home