Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Fire...Fire on the Mountain

May 08, 2007

Fire...Fire on the Mountain

The Los Feliz/Griffith Park fire is still burning. It's really bad. It's sad. I think of all the homes, all the people, and especially the animals who are affected by this fire. 

 

From my home, if I walk out to the street and look up, the Griffith Park Observatory is still there as of 9pm. The photo above is one I took last year from my block, now you get the picture. Thank G-d it's still there so far.  The pics I took tonight (to the left) aren't so great and don't really give the full story, but from what the news says, 600 acres have burned but they say they really don't know but it's a huge fire either way. 

For those of you unfamiliar, Griffith Park is the largest urban park in all of the United States 4210 acres. It's basically a huge mountain with amazing trails, nature, and features such as: The Los Angeles Zoo, Gene Autry Museum, an historic Merry-Go-Round, Pony Rides, Kids Train, The Observatory, Horse Stables, The famous Greek Theatre...there are just so many lovely historic places it's sad to see them all at risk.

The school I work at is now an evacuation center. I don't know what that will mean tomorrow morning. I do know however that there are many, many evacuees sleeping in my school's gym. Additionally I just called a friend from synagogue and learned that there are people from there who have been evacuated. My thoughts are with all those people. I hope they and their families are safe. I also hope that families retreived their pets. I'm a softy for pets!

  OH NO! It's 10:28 and they just said the "Bird Sanctuary" and "Dante's View" was burned down tonight. So sad. I took a lovely walk up there last year and took some pics. You can find them by clicking on this one.

7 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

WOW, that is close to you.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger marty said...

I'm sorry the park is on fire. I'm sure it is scary being so close. Fortunately, there are no fires in Central Park.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

When I woke up this morning my car was covered in little flecks of ash.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Baleboosteh said...

Hi Tamara,
I hope you aren't to close to it! Fires are so scary and as you said - all those houses and poor animals.

Hope it is out real soon.

Take care and stay safe!

:D

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger orieyenta said...

That is so sad and scary! We have fires and lotsof smoke going on here in Florida but nothing compared to this. Please keep safe!

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading and hearing about the fires and as of this morning I hear that its 50% contained. I hope that it gets competely contained soon so that the wonderful place that is Griffith Park is not completely wiped out. Stay safe1

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

Thank you everyone. My house is far enough away that there were no worries. Just the bad air and smokey smell that lingered.

I do wish I could say I was close to it, because if I were that would mean I had an amazing home in the Hollywood Hills :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home