Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Where Do I Fit?

April 16, 2007

Where Do I Fit?

I've been wanting to post a good Jewish post for a bit but never feel the motivation. Today however, in response to a post on Progressive Judaism over at TikkunGer's blog, I wrote a comment that really should have simply been a post about where I fit within the different and multiplicitous denominations within Judaism. This is something I've been doing a lot of thinking about and exploring on a personal level.

Basically, the synagogue I go to now is not where, once I'm married, I'll spend all my time. Both TikkunGer and I have discussed regularly and extensively what sort of community we would like to be active members in and what sort of community suits us both. A community in which we both are accepted as Jews, as we are, without being asked to change or be something or believe something that we both clearly don't. That is not to say I am avoiding my current synagogue, just that we need to align ourselves in a second community that is more inclusive.  Anyway...I've decided to post my response for all to read and if you so choose, to comment on.

I’m glad progressive Judaism is strong. Sometimes it’s hard to discern how things really are. Heck, sometimes it’s hard for me to tell where I reall am Jewishly.

I thought, that after reading/skimming each description of the different denominations in Judaism that you linked to, it would be easy to place myself in a Jewish “box” if you will. I actually learned a lot and realized there are things within each that sound good to me and I was also suprised at some of what I read and how it didn’t mesh with me.

Mostly I was suprised that what I thought was a tradition of ritual observance intertwined with liberal views; Reconstructionism-was far from that. I was really suprised to learn that there are some things within reconstructionism that just don’t mesh with my beliefs.

I started to think,”I wonder if I listed what I do believe in, and then compare it to the lists of each movement, where would that leave me?”. Frankly, it leaves me where I am, confused. I guess I don’t come from one tradition. My mom was a very left wing liberal who sent me to Reform synagogues, who treasured the family traditions of Judaism but religion was not a big focus. Living with my father I went to a conservative synagogue and those beliefs are surely embedded within some of my basic beliefs. As an adult I started aquainting myself with Chasidism and starting embracing some of the more traditional ways of Judaism such as keeping a kosher home (though eating out vegetarian, definitely not orthodox there). Where does that leave me? STILL CONFUSED :)

Let’s see. I’m definitely liberal in my social views, including issues around homosexuality and my belief that women are capabale of holding non-traditional roles within Judaism. I don’t think someone without a Jewish mother is not Jewish. I guess I consider them half. Though, if one’s mother is Jewish I consider them fully Jewish. I know that sounds bad and is obviously something from the Conservative synagogue I went to early on. I also don’t feel it’s the bigger issue that is important to me. I believe that tzedakah and helping others and the environment are important parts of being Jewish. Growing up we often donated to “Trees for Israel”. It was a big deal as a kid and both my parents instilled love and respect of nature early on.

More or less I seem to fall into Conservative Judaism though I struggle with a few things. And where I don’t fall into Conservatism I seem to go to the Renewal side. I do believe that halacha is meant to be a guide for our lives. I believe in modernity for sure. I believe in critical text studies.The belief that it’s ok to have a range of Jewish beliefs makes sense to me. I am surely monotheistic but accept the fact that there are varying beliefs about G-d. I also believe that G-d inspired our religious texts and definitely don’t believe they are all directly the words of G-d but more G-d inspired. I also believe that the texts were put together over many years from multiple sources. I believe in divine intervention. I don’t believe in coincidences and I do believe that G-d is a force in my life whether I notice it or not. On Jewish law I do believe it is ever changing and growing. I struggle with the word “binding” because if it is binding, in my head, that means it is exactly as written and there is no room for interpretation. Personally, I guess I believe that halacha is meant as a guide to be better people, better Jews, to simply work at personal improvement that in turn improves our world.

4 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

Very interesting...

It is clear that you've certainly put some mental energy into thinking about all of this and where you fit into things. I can't say that I agree with everything but then again I don't have to, what's important is that you have a sense for yourself of what is what.

Having said that I'm convinced and have been for quite some time that we are much more a like Jewishly speaking than we are different and that's a good thing.

For myself reading your thoughts on the subject have helped reinforce my belief that I am through and through a Reform Jew. Like you I resonated with many aspects of the different streams and I must admit it's hard not to want to try and pigeonhole myself into one of them 100%.

Why I say I'm Reform is because it is a label that best captures my internal spiritual process. People often assume that the term Reform implies that it is a "Reformed" version of Judaism and that just isn't the case. As I understand it and I think most Reform Rabbis would agree, that Reform implies an ongoing process of evaluation and adjustment and that certainly captures me.

My identity as a Jew is constantly evolving in morphing into something new as my experience and knowledge deepen. I suppose I might be able to say that I'm constantly “ Reforming” who I am as a Jew. That's not to say that I'm ad hoc'ishly replacing one definition with another but rather when at my best, my commitment and understanding are deepening in a flexible sort of way which is constantly altering my identity and beliefs as a Jew.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling.

Be well

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Gruven Reuven said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tam-
Yes, TG is right you are clearly thinking very seriously about these issues and I am again having to rethink them myself as I've recently started going out with a gal who comes from a very reform background.

It would seem that a conservative/ traditional/ masorti type of Judaism would be the best fit for the two of you as a couple, but that also presents problems. The conservative movement doesn't really seem to know where it is going right now and is actually shrinking. Reform and Orthodoxy are growing, but what used to be the broad middle ground is shrinking. Here in Denver I've found a conservative shul that is truly traditional but inclusive. I'm hoping that you'll be able to find one there in LA. Take care Tam- I'm pulling for you and TG.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

TikkunGer: Thanks for the nice thought out comment. I love seeing your comments on my blog. I do agree that you and I have many similarities. We've done good this past year exploring together, even if from afar, and seem to be coming together quite nicely. I look forward to shul shopping and finding a shul home together.

Amishav: I don't know if you have to "rethink" what you're doing. I just think you have to be open to what she's doing. I'm not sure of your affiliation at this point but if you are in an orthodox community then you will feel the pressure from both sides; her and them. This can be challenging which is why it's very important for you to be sure you know what works for you. If there's one thing I've learned from TG it's that no one denomination has the answers or the "correct" form of Judaism. It's very easy to feel, when in a community like mine, Chabad, that they do it "right". I now know that to not be true because anyone who questions a Jew's Jewishness based on conversion or anything is not doing it right IMHO. Calling oneself a Jew and BEING one are different. Anyway, I'm rambling.

As far as the Conservative movement goes, I don't get your comments. I agree that it might be a good fit for us, though we intend on exploring a few. But the movement seems fine to me, and frankly, I personally don't care if it's shrinking. I wouldnt' change my POV based on who's most popular when. The nice thing about Conservative that I mentioned in my post is that there are open boundaries for the different aspects of faith. There are different notions about G-d, about Halacha. Personally, I like that. I like that everyone isn't a stamped carbon copy of the next person.

I thank you both for the comments. Keep em coming :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home