Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: What's Goin' On

April 19, 2007

What's Goin' On

I realized I was due for a post though right now my thoughts seem all over the place and I'm for sure not fully focused. So, this post I'll just catch up with whatever flows. :)

Counting the Omer: This is the first year I've attempted or even understood Omer counting. So far, it's day 16 and I haven't missed counting. I got two great links from Velveteen Rabbi's post on the same topic so I always first go to a site to make sure I have the right day, then I go to another site to get a little insight on what character trait to focus on for the day. It's really great and I suggest everyone look at the last link, it's wonderful.

Second Life:  This is a sort of preview to a post I've been meaning to do. I'm semi-addicted to SecondLife. SecondLife is a virutual online world which is just amazing. Some call it a game. Some people live, imho, too much in this world. But, SL is great fun and when you're on vacation like I am, it's a new way of exploring and connecting with other Jews. SL has a huge Jewish community which includes a non-denominational synagogue, a active Jewish community center, a Jewish Historical Museum, Holocaust Memorial Museum, a new Reform Temple, a mikvah, a Torah School, there's a new Yeshivah and even a Jewish Intentional Community. Really, Jewish life flourishes in SL.

 (yes I'm blushing) I've attended a Seder there, some Jewish classes, a wedding, a memorial candle lighting for Yom Hashoah. It's fascinating.  The latest thing is that a photo of the survivor of the Holocaust who was killed at VA Tech has been placed in the courtyard of the community center as a memorial. Many have placed stones, candles, and flowers, in his honor.  

So yes, this is my new guilty pleasure. However, next week I go back to work and my time there will decrease immensely.

Gemara Gems: There is a new blog out there for those very interested in Judaism and Gemara and such. To be honest, most of the posts are far beyond me but I sort of know the owner of the blog outside his blog through another site. We've had some great dialogues about conversion to Judaism, adoption to Judaism, and the struggles we have found withing. I don't want to out this person's beliefs or personal history; though I would like to urge him to write about some of these topics, I'm sure there are many who would find great interest in what he has to say.

Kosher Fish:  Yesterday I met up with my dad and step-mom for a nice walk in nature and then for lunch. I kept telling them how much I LOVE "The Fish Grill". It's the best deal in healthy, kosher, and inexpensive food around. As I imagined, they truly enjoyed it too.  It's really nice to spend quality time with family and as I've gotten older it means even more.

4 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Gruven Reuven said...

Oh No! I failed! With GemaraGems I'm trying to highlight interesting stories and questions I come across in my daily Talmud study. Trying to do it in such a way that's it's understandable by all. Ooops..

Also while in SL, stop by my replica of the Kotel. It's not an official Chabad outpost in cyberspace, eventhough it may look like it :-)

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

SecondLife sounds intriguing... but not intriguing enough to make me try it ;-)

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Mottel said...

This life is enough of an adventure for me to not need a second one . . . though I haven't been impartial to a game or two of Myst in the past.
As for Fish Grill . . . it's the best! (At least I'm not the only Fish Grill fan in the Jblogosphere) Might I also suggest 'On Fire' (al ha'eish) . . . it's rather healthy as far as middle eastern food goes . . . the ingredients are fesh etc.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tam - you're certainly braver than me- I got scared off by the virtual life thing...but the one you're doing sounds very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home