Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Back to School

April 29, 2007

Back to School

Being on a year round schedule with teaching has many plusses and many drawbacks. It's great that I get four, yes four months off a year. The problem with that is it is VERY hard going back to work after being off for two months.  I've been at this school just about two years now and the other times I've been off track I've substituted and done work while off. This time however, I did pretty much nothing work related. Which is great! Except...tomorrow I have 100+ kids and I'm still working on what to do. It is hard for teachers and students go through the struggle of getting back in school mode.

I went from waking at 5:30am and going to bed at 9 or 10 to waking around 9:30 and going to bed at midnight. I'll be gentle on the students tomorrow because they'll be just as tired as I will the first day back.

My vacation overall was good. It was my first extended one since my mom passed away and I think that's part of why I ended up not working while off. I really needed down time. The best part of my vacation was the two weeks I spent in Ottawa with TikkunGer. It's been over a month since I've been home and of course I miss him immensely. Long Distance relationships are very challenging. I wouldn't discourage two people from being open to a LD relationship. Though, I would encourage serious thought of how it looks and what it means. Both TikkunGer and I are looking forward to the time when we can be together on a daily basis. Soon hopefully.

And with that...my vacation comes to an end. That means less sleep, less free time, but lucky you, it means more blogs about teaching and students and the fun that is an urban public high school.

Oh, and next weekend is my birthday...I'm working on what I want to do. Any suggestions?

5 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Around here, there's lots of talk about renting out a private karoake room. LOL. Everyone pays a cover and you can bring in your own food and drinks, and karaoke all night. LOL. Just an idea.
But otherwise, as long as you're surrounded by people who love you, you'll have a great time (picnic in the park, maybe?) If I were there, I'd be bringing the cake. Oh well!

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Big box & inexpensive overland freight charges from Canada. I'm betting CN/CP rail won't be checking too carefully if it's labeled animal feed, right? Used to be done all the time. Cheers & Good Luck with School & your B-day, 'VJ'

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was the first day back!?

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tam- so sorry that you have to be back in school...that's a bummer, but we all gotta earn our keep somehow right? I've only got five more weeks then I'm in Margaritaville! But have a great first day back! You'll be glad you're working again...eventually. HA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home