Out and 'Aboot'
I've been in Ottawa since the 7th now. So far so good. Yes, the weather is cold, but it's not horrible at all. No need for a coat if you're just going to the car or into a shop. I've been using my lighter coat and no multiple layers. The snow stopped falling a day after I got here.
What have I been up to? Well, lots of relaxing. We've watched the entire first season of Battlestar Galactica. Ummm, yes, I do like it. We've started season two :)
A couple of days ago we went to see "Last King of Scotland". What a powerful movie with incredible acting and a moving story. I have mixed feelings about the subject matter and the politics covered in the film. I think the largest thing I took away was the fact that we live in such a large world with so much war and hate and crime; that it's impossible to know everything going on in the world. With that said, I totally was clueless about what happened in Uganda and the politics and such.
Today we found ONE place in Ottawa, about a ten
minute drive from where TG lives, that is kosher. Yes, ONE. So off we headed to "Rideau Bakery" where we were able to get a great breakfast of freshly baked Rye toast, eggs, homefries, and tomatoe slices for $3.50 Canadian. AMAZING! The bakery is not really a restaurant but there's an old school eating bar with not-so-comfy-stools where you can get breakfast, pizza, wraps. The bakery had some lovely looking pastries but we only took home some mandel
bread (for me) and two slices of pizza that we had for lunch after we got home from the Museum of Civilization.
The museum was great and you can find photos on my Flickr account. I even got a couple of really nice photos of TG, which I'm happy about because we don't take lots of pics of eachother or together :) In addition to the museum we saw an IMAX/OMNI Max film called "Great Places". It was awesome and if you've never been to an IMAX, go.
And so, for those of you wondering what is
going on, that's about it for now. I wish I had a deep post but alas I don't. But I'm trying. My brain just doesn't seem to be academically functioning right now. However, this quote stirred something in me, so click the photo and tell me what you think. The quote IS intellectual.
Labels: Canada, Kosher, Museum of Civilization, Ottawa, Rideau, Stuff








9 Comments:
Thanks Tamara for the lovely pics & the update. It's good to hear that you're enjoying your trip. Most of the wood carvings you took pictures are not Inuit carvings, but various Indian tribal art from various tribes of the Pacific Northwest. The National Museum has one of the largest collections in the world of such great art. I'm glad you got to see & visit it. I've got plenty of publications from the 'Museum of Man' from way back in the day. It's still one of the best anthropological based museums in the world. We hope the luggage finally reached you too. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'
Ooo - thanks for sharing your trip so far in photos. I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying your trip and your time with TG!
Yeah, it's so frustrating that Ottawa, which has a Loblaws with an enormous kosher section + kosher deli + kosher bakery, liquor stores with all sorts of kosher booze, doesn't have a single real restaurant that's kosher.
In addition to the Rideau Bakery (best rye bread IN THE WORLD!), the JCC cafe and the cafe at the Hillel Senior's home (across the parking lot from the JCC) are the only kosher restaurants.
And I love the Museum of Civilization. Go for another visit when the weather's warm and take a river cruise - can be very romantic ;)
VJ - Thanks. I made the correction. Simple mistake. Mr. Know it All.
Orieyenta - My pleasure. I enjoy your blog and photos as well.
Projgen - I just went to that Loblaws yesterday. It has a fantastic Kosher section, fresh, frozen, butcher, etc. Honestly it's better than many places in Los Angeles. We have tons of Kosher restaurants and stores; however, they all seem to be a bit disorganized and grundgy. Why is that? As far as the Rideau, they now serve breakfast so I suggest, if you live here, to go. I don't think you'll find me at the old age home for eating out :) But that's just me. LOL.
Thanks Tamara. It's a learning experience. I used to be able to tell you which tribe it was at some distance, Bella Bella vs. Bella Coola, Haida vs. Kwakiutl. It takes some study. The Inuit are typically an entirely different tradition. But this is again reason # 42 why some museum docents now flee in abject terror when they see me... Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'
You've posted so much! For some reason, your blog is not updating in my feed reader. I'm glad I checked out your actual blog! Sounds like you are having some nice quality time. Remember, however cold it gets, somewhere in the world, it's even colder and you can be glad you're not there. LOL.
Ah, Battlestar. I've watched everything through Season 2, but lacking cable I haven't seen it since the end of that season... and the suspense. is. killing. me. by. degrees.
It's wonderful that y'all are doing so well! You get back into town this week, no? We shall do coffee or dinner... I think my break begins when yours ends, but evenings are prett open.
Hey. You can watch the videos online at DailyMotion.com
Hey- I really like the pics of Ottawa and I'm glad its not too cold there. The museum seems great and I'm glad you can get a Kosher breakfast to 3 bucks! What a deal!
Post a Comment
<< Home