Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: "A Wandering Feast"

January 01, 2007

"A Wandering Feast"

While I was in Ottawa, TG and I traversed our way through snow and sleet and wind and rain (sorta) to visit three different Chapters stores.  The first two we went to we weren't impressed with the Judaica books; however, the last one we went to had a better selection, especially on the discount bookshelves. 

I found a treasure there on sale for just $8 CA. I began reading while still in Ottawa and finished on the trip back. I NEVER read that fast but I couldn't put this down so I thought I'd share A Wandering Feast with you.

The book is basically a bunch of short pieces about the author's travels throughout Eastern Europe on his search for Klezmer music that never left Europe. The reader gets to travel to the old shtetls, beismidrash, synagogues and kosher kitchens. The reader also gets to experience his many encounters with holocaust survivors. Whether you are Jewish or not, this book is great. Oh, and dispersed thorughout the book are traditional recipes of foods local residents made him on his journey along with music for many Klezmer songs. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home