Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Tu B'shevat, Meditation, & Painting

January 28, 2007

Tu B'shevat, Meditation, & Painting

 Last week I went to one of the women's circles at my synagogue. The topic was meditation and painting. We always have some sort of learning topic along with something creative. Last year I went to one where we talked about stress and then made chocolates and cakes.

The theme for last week's women's circle centered around Tu B'Shevat and Kabbalah.  We had a wonderful speaker who explained about the symbolism of the month and the number 15. She discussed it's implications according to Gematria and the significance of the month of Shevat.  We learned all about trees and tree symbolism. Personally, I have always connected with the imagery and symbolism of trees. I've even painted some that had their own symbolic meanings.

During this workshop we, after listening to the talk, were led through a guided experience/mediatation. Afterwards we were supposed to not think, stay in the experience, and simply let our hands paint. We were encouraged to not paint clear objects but to simply paint feelings. Trust me, it was hard to not paint a tree. Now, I can't say I LOVE what I painted; however, I love the meaning and symbolism that I found in it afterwards.

This is what I painted:

Symbolically I think my painting has significant meanings to my relationship with TikkunGer. First, the two rings are easily identified as unity or marriage. They were the first things I painted, which is not suprising because our relationship is one of the most important things in my life. The rings are interconnected yet exist in their own realms as well: see the background colors of each ring. My side is more pink (feminine) with some blue mixed in; because I believe we all carry both characteristics. TG's side is blue which is not only masculine but calming. Blue can also represent spirituality and truth and reminds us of Hashem.  Under the rings is brown, what I thought was earth, but when I see the pattern (which was unintentional) I see a braided challah. Challah is very symbolic in Judaism and exteremly significant to women as one of the three mitzvot that are specific to women.  Additionally, at the root of every Jewish child, Jewish home, is the mother. It's interesting that this turned out to be a challah carrying a home (the two rings). The green base of this painting can be seen as life, birth, hope. Every relationship and foundation must be given birth to and must have hope and be rooted in common beliefs and values. Notice there is a layer of purple between the green and brown.  I know purple is commonly seen as divine or ruling; however, I seem to remember the presenter saying it can symbolize some sort of barrier. I would love to find out, if any of you know, please comment.

All in all the evening with the ladies in my shul was great. We all had a good time and seeing all the completed paintings was quite interesting. If any of you would like to analyze my piece of art (if you want to call it that), I'd love to hear what you think.

4 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great painting. I am totally impressed with the work you are doing with this women's group.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

Hey what can I say, very, very cool.

I can’t even draw a stickman so I don’t dare try to analyze anything artsy. However I am impressed with both the art and the spirituality drawn from it. I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

PS hope you had fun tonight!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Ro said...

I find it interesting that you mostly use tertiary colors for this piece. I do have to say your palette is very California. I'm curious what kind of paints did you use acrylic?


Anyway painting pretty me like. :)

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice painting Tam! I like the symbolism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home