Yesterday I had a talk with a student who is having a very hard time passing the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE). She has taken it a few times and now her self esteem is shot. I printed out this quote for her to remind her that it was just a test, and she can get past it. I also have this quote hanging on my fridge.
Hey Tamara, I've heard good things about this book by another LA teacher, Rafe Esquith, 'Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56'. I'm sure you've heard of it, but it does sound like it could be useful to you. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'
Emerson is great! I used to teach his stuff quite a bit until the state exams caused us to drop him, and any other philosophical writer out of the curriculum in favor of short non-fiction excerpts having to do with "real-world" issues- in other words, technical manuals and advertising.Its a shame that more kids don't get to meet him.
3 Comments:
Great quote! It would be neat to have on a banner in the classroom or something. Thanks!
Hey Tamara, I've heard good things about this book by another LA teacher, Rafe Esquith, 'Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56'. I'm sure you've heard of it, but it does sound like it could be useful to you. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'
Emerson is great! I used to teach his stuff quite a bit until the state exams caused us to drop him, and any other philosophical writer out of the curriculum in favor of short non-fiction excerpts having to do with "real-world" issues- in other words, technical manuals and advertising.Its a shame that more kids don't get to meet him.
Post a Comment
<< Home