Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Chanukah in January

January 14, 2007

Chanukah in January

Last night my family got together for Chanukah. Yes, we do know it's a tad bit late but at least the New Year's sales helped with inexpensive gifts. :)

This year's get together was different for two reasons. First, because now I'm engaged and second, it's clearer than ever that my level of belief and observance is far different than my family.

This was the first time seeing my family since the engagement. I so very much wish TG was there to share it with me. I really am looking forward to us finally being able to be together without 3000 miles between us.  I/we got congratulatory hugs from everyone and everyone asked to see the ring. I really love the ring. It's unique, it's special, and it's sentimental. Everyone really liked it and were quite happy for the both of us. Some of my Chanukah gifts included a one year subscription to "Bride" magazine, Chicken Soup for the Bride's Soul, and two fun pads  called: "Do You Know Your Bride/Groom?". These are fun and filled with a gazillion questions one for the bride, one for the groom.  It was nice getting the gifts because I feel supported and that's beautiful.

TG and I are both working at becoming more observant little by little. Each of us have goals and aspects of Judaism that we're working towards. One of these things is keeping kosher both in and out of the home. In many ways, it will be harder for me; I simply LOVE going out to eat. Luckily, L.A. does have plenty of kosher restaurants so it's doable.  I think what is even harder than eating out is eating at the homes of family members. As I make changes I know that family might raise an eybrow or two.  I spoke a little of my shul last night and although I got nothing negative, I know the people who are close to me might think it a bit odd. It's o.k. I'll get through it and I know that there was a time when I too would raise a brow. Last night I was quite conscientious of what I was eating. I'm proud of myself because I read lables of food that was vegetarian which I don't usually do at someone's home.  I so wanted some of the bruschetta but I noticed it's processed in a plant with shell fish so I opted out. The cheese dip was OU which was cool. I of course devoured latkes and applesauce (I'm not perfect yet :) )

I'm really rambling and this isn't coming out as self reflective as I wanted...so off I go to turn on the heater. It's freaking cold here in Cali!

1 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

Nancy,
Thank you so much for the very kind words. You're a great friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home