Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Ebbs and Flows...Life's ups and downs

October 08, 2006

Ebbs and Flows...Life's ups and downs

Sukkot:  This past Shabbat I brought a friend along to Shabbat dinner in the Sukkah at my shul. I really do love the community that I have become a part of. We are diverse and friendly, festive and fun. When I say diverse, I can't even begin to tell you how diverse. Diverse along levels of observance, countries, languages, sexuality, beliefs. It's amazing because this is a Chabad shul but the community isn't and so we get such a beautiful mix that, to me, this is what Judaism truly is.

Sunday:  Today I stayed in my jammies all day. YAY!  I cleaned walls and baseboards with water and vinegar. Who knew all the amazing uses of white vinegar!  I also booked new flights, car rentals, parking lot reservations, printed travel directions, made a long grocery list, did some planning for when I return to work in November, and relaxed. All in all, a productive day.

Mom update:  My mom, as many of you know is terminally ill with a myriad of lung disease issues. Her life has been cut terribly short. She's not even 60 yet. She is in the hospital again. They just took her off the ventilator again.  Hopefully she'll go home tomorrow. The doctors are again saying they don't think she has more than the month. But let me tell you, my mom is one stubborn fightin' woman because she has fought this for so long. I often pray for her to feel little pain and to be at ease. I had planned to visit for Thanksgiving weekend so I could spend some time and make a dinner. However, the situation being what it is, I'll be going to see her on October 24th instead.  This will be an important visit for a number of obvious reasons, not to mention that my mom will be meeting my boyfriend for the first time. This wasn't in the initial plan but I think it's a good thing. I would like him to meet her at least once and I know my mom wants my happiness and she would like to see this special man that's in my life.

A swift kick in the...:  About my boyfriend, we don't always see eye to eye, he challenges me and calls me on my shit. He pushes me to where we both end up frustrated and mad; though we somehow manage to work and communicate through these times. And those are just some of the reasons I really appreciate him and having him in my life. Some years ago a friend challenged me to make a list of the qualities I'd want in a partner.  One of the qualities on my list was to have a partner who can put me in my place gently. Although it's not always soft and gentle, my  boyfriend is the reason I'm going to see my mom so soon. He really put the fire under my tuchus and that's what made me move to action.  Sometimes we all need a swift kick in the derrier (French spelling?). I am appreciative of his ability to support me in this way. One thing I re-learned in this experience is that support from those we care for does not always come in the way we imagine. Nevertheless, support is support and should be welcomed. If we don't let others help us and support us, then we take from them the gift of giving. 

Boyfriend's visit:  Friday he finally arrives for a long visit. I'm nervous, excited, anxious, and maybe a little scared? Scared in a good way because this relationship is more serious than relationships of the past and although that's beautiful, it's scary.  I don't know where we're headed, but I'm treasuring the learning and growing along the way, and I'm sure this trip will be chock full of learning and growing. 

Friday I'll be making my first Shabbat dinner for him and I.  It will be so nice to have someone to share a special meal with sitting at my table and enjoying Shabbat.  What's on the menu? Some sort of salad with an avocado dressing, fennel with lemon, stuffed zuchinni with chickpeas and other goodness, matzah ball soup and for dessert these maple wafers that I'll fill with berries or perhaps coffee ice cream (yes, the wafers will be homemade). Wish me luck.

We will have about ten days of down time. Time to relax, to show him my neighborhood, to do some driving around seeing the city. I'm hoping to go to the Museum of Tolerance, the Skirball Museum, Venice Beach, and he's anxious to go to the Hare Krishna Museum (shrug, if it makes him happy, I'm happy).  I'm sure we'll do lots of just hanging out around town. This is good because on the 24th we'll be driving to San Jose. Parking the car and flying to Seattle to go see my mom for 3 nights.  When we return to San Jose we'll be spending two nights in Palo Alto with some of his friends. Next we will drive south to Cambria, following the coastline.  We have a room with a fireplace and ocean view (which after seeing mom and staying with friends, will be a nice respite together). The following morning we will drive home, enjoying the lovely scenery that the northern California coastline provides.  I'll go back to work right after. Then we will get to experience real life. Waking up early, going to work, being tired, bringing work home to do, fun fun fun. 

5 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger Dori said...

Shabbat dinner plans and visit plans both sound delicious--so, so exciting.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's illness; this must be a tough time for you as well.

Congrats on your balanced, thoughtful attitude!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Your shul sounds so great. I love that kind of diversity.

So sorry to hear about your mother. I am so glad you and your b/f will go see her.

And I am thrilled for the long chunk of time you and he will get to spend together. I hope it is great and you grow closer even!

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

All the best to your mother. On a side note, how did I end up beneath Stacey. If I didn't know better I'd say that the crazy Texan was following me.

Chag sameach.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to read about your Mom. I am glad you and your bf will get some quality time with her.

Your Shabbat dinner sounds really good. I'd have to vote for the coffee ice cream with the wafers only b/c I've made that before and it was super good. (mine came out like a fancy ice cream cone) Maybe you can have some (black) berries on the side?

Have a good time with the bf!

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear your mom is feeling worse. Great change of plan though that A. can see her!

Be strong and hang in there. Talk to you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home