Loose Change
Today, being September 11th, is a good opportunity to talk with students about what happened on this sad sad day in America's and the world's history. My lesson today was pretty simple, some silent reading and then a journal about 9/11. I asked the students to write about their thoughts, reflections, emotions, what they remember, how it affected them personally. I was suprised by much of what they said.
Some kids said they feel it didn't really affect them. These kids were 12 when it happened. They saw the news in the morning, thought, "that's sad", then went outside to play. You can't blame them for this. They were kids afterall. But what saddens me is that I had to have a real talk about how it did and always will affect them. I discussed how their travel experiences will never be the same, that the date of 9/11 is not only in their own history books (a pathetic one page I must add), but their kids will learn it. This day has added levels upon levels of hate and mistrust not only in America but throughout the world. I think it's so important that kids see this and acknowledge it.
What shocked me however, was how some kids, rather than acknowledging it were telling me it was all fake, set up by the government. When I dug deeper to find out where they got their information, I discovered that their history teacher showed a film today that I think is not only disturbing but tasteless on this day of memorium. Their teacher showed, "Loose Change" in class. This was the lesson! I am perturbed by this. I went home and did a search and found the video on Google. This video is all about this huge government conspiracy plot and cover up about EVERYTHING having to do with this day; including a claim that no terrorists were involved, that there is no evidence a plane crashed into the Pentagon, that all the people on the planes are perhaps still alive and safe hidden in some mysterious NASA location. They claim that flight 93 was diverted to Ohio and all the passengers were basically kidnapped, that the phone calls to their loved ones were fake cloned voices. OY...I have to stop, you can see where this goes.
The bottom line for me is this.
1. This is a day of memorium and should have been treated as such.
2. A teacher is in a special position of power and must act responsibly.
3. Acting responsibly includes providing ONLY factual material in a history class and if a teacher is going to present an "alternate" theory of what happened, that they do so with a contrasting and equal medium. In other words, if this teacher chose to show this video, why didn't he mention or show the other side?
I can't change what another teacher chose to do, but what I can and did do was let students know that they must think for themselves. That when they hear "conspiracy theory" they need to listen with caution and ask themselves how realistic, how plausible is it. I can say that I'm glad I was there to hopefully remind them that just because someone is a teacher, that doesn't make them right, including me. :)








5 Comments:
Just because someone is a teacher doesn't make them an automatic genius (Tam excepted, of course).
I have had my share of teachers who I perceived as morons. When I was in their classes, I spend most of the period displaying to others how stupid they were. They were so dumb that they never realized what I was doing.
I can only imagine how frustrating that was for you, having to refute that video. I'll never watch it -- I'd get too angry and frustrated. Just know that what you did teach your students was valuable.
That must have been so frustrating, having to refute that video. I'll never watch it -- I'd get too angry and frustrated. Just know that what you taught your students was valuable.
This is not a uncommon thought or expression by yes, millions world wide, especially in the Arab world, according to PEW survey research. It stems from many things, but in this country a Big part of the problem was the official stonewalling and a the outright refusal to investigate the failures that led to 9-11. So we get a 9-11 commission that was stonewalled by not only our Dear Leader for Years, (the Prez), but by Congress & the defense establishment too. Now for the most part they (the Commission) got it right, but they started 2 years behind the event due to all this political wrangling by yes, The Prez to try and Avoid any and ALL blame or even responsibility.
Now we've got the same BS going on with ABC's 'The Path to 9-11' which was & IS a fictionalized 'docudrama' produced by their entertainment division, and a right wing cabal of nuts, but it's accepted as 'just another normal night of TV'. So is it any wonder why the crazier conspiracy theories have real currency here and abroad?
The Bush Prez was handed a PDB from the CIA on Aug 6 2001 saying 'Bin Laden determined to attack the US' using hijacked airplanes. (Again, after ignoring this threat for almost a full year, they then tried mightily to cover up that simple fact of their failures to heed the danger for still more Years). But do you recall what Bush did next? Yes, he went on vacation! Only after telling his CIA briefer, 'OK You've covered your ass' according to eye witnesses. Then about 2 weeks later in Aug, 2001 he DID address the nation in his very First formal address on an issue of burning importance to him: His decision to block most stem cell research going on in the country in order to 'preserve life' Not the real lives of potential victims of terror, but the Potential Possible lives of frozen embryos. That's our Prez and his Repug wrecking crew, still blaming Clinton for their abject failures. Most of what the Arabs believe is at least more consistent and believable, right? (Even though it's both Wrong & False!) A substantial plurality of people voted to re-elect this moron and his accomplices! That's why ABC News ran with their propaganda program that contains so many, many lies. They HAD the truth. They had 40 Million dollars to tell it, they Chose to lie! And these are the people who run media conglomerates worth Billions of dollars.
So yeah, some teachers can be idiots. They are encouraged in this by almost everything they see or hear in the larger media. So they might be forgiven, right? They're just One person, not a cast of Thousands who ran with the right wing propaganda program of 'The Path to 9-11'. And NO this is not an endorsement for the idiocy Tam described. Cheers, 'VJ'
I've included a link to Sourcewatch.org, which will document what I was talking about above with the bogus 'Path to 9-11'
[http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=%22The_Path_to_9/11%22_%282006_Docudrama%29]
Post a Comment
<< Home