Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Growing as One

September 01, 2006

Growing as One

Being in a relationship has been quite amazing so far. Those of you who know me, know that for six years I was not in any serious long term relationships. Now, I stumbled upon one and it's quite intense. 

So much of the intensity that I am experiencing comes from learning things about myself that I never knew as well as learning about someone else and experiencing how two people work together to build. Self discovery is amazing and it comes in many forms. Often times I am reminded of how much I have to learn, of how naieve I am on so many things. Other times I realize how much I've done in my life so far, how many accomplishments big and small that I can call my own. One thing I most assuredly have discovered is that being in a relationship requires both people to give up part of their oneness in order to come together as a couple. TG has opened my eyes to this concept and I must admit, it's a lot of work. I think being single so long and on my own so long creates a (well worth it) challenge to become part of my significant other in many ways. One of the ways in which I'm working at doing this is by taking on some of TG's interests. Although we have many similarities and do share many interests; we are also quite different and bringing those differences together is scary, exciting, challenging, and rewarding too.  One of the little ways in which I'm doing this is by embracing one of TG's passions: documentaries.

This is not  to say I didn't watch documentaries before or enjoy them. However, in the last 4 months, he's shared many with me. And so tonight, as I perused the video store which I rarely do, my eyes were wide eyed for interesting documentaries. I think the most interesting thing tonight was that many of the documentaries TG has shared or mentioned to me I saw in the store.  For a minute there I felt hip and knowledgeable :)  Some of the titles:  "The Corporation" , "WalMart", "Why We Fight", "Protocols of Zion" and I'm sure a few others that I can't think of now. It made me smile because those titles put him there with me in a sense.

My video picks for tonight are: "Ushpizin", a Jewish movie that many have told me was great. The second is a documentary  about the Rosenberg's and the McCarthy era called, "Heir to an Execution". It sounded interesting and since my 11th graders are going to read "The Crucible" next and I make the connections to the Red Scare when I teach it, I thought it would be a good one to watch and perhaps use later in class.

I have learned so much in this relationship and well, I guess I just wanted to see that all in writing. :)

Shabbat Shalom

4 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Ro said...

I saw Heir to an Execution not too long ago. I think your 11th graders will like it.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Good Shabbos.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

who, what, where, me did'z something?

thanks for this post it was nice to read and even nicer to know i am connecting with someone.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger marty said...

Will you rate these films for us?

Maybe on a scale of one to ten rabbis with 10 being the best film?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home