San Diego in 24 Hours
Friday after work I made my way down to San Diego. I knew I was asking for traffic hell because nobody in their right mind drives down to San Diego on a busy Friday. And so, myself and a gazillion others who are not in their right minds, hit the freeway. What should have been a 2-2.5 hour trip took me about 4 hours. Luckily I talked with TG for 2 of those hours so that made the trip more bearable. (So did the Krispy Creme donut and coffee that I stopped for).
First stop was at my brother and sister-in-law's home. I got there around 8pm. Chatted a bit, played with my nephew a tiny bit. He's so freaking cute. Three years old and just full of love and sweetness. I definitely don't see my nieces and nephews enough. My niece wasn't home because she's at her first summer sleep away camp. Wow, I'm getting old if my niece is at sleepaway. :)
In the morning I went to my old coffeeshop hangout in

University Heights, Twiggs. I love that place. San Diego is a big city but the pockets of neighborhoods allow it to have a certain small town feel and appeal. When I walked up to Twiggs, there were two guys outside that I knew. It's like I've never left. They simply said, "Wow, where have you been". I'm like, "Ummm, I live in Hollywood now". :) Next I go inside and I see a couple other customers I know. You see, many regulars go there. I knew the two people working, Norma and Keith. They are great and have worked there for years. My guess is at least 8 because I've been going there that long. The owner was there too so it was nice to just be there like the old days. I sat down with my laptop and the owner says, "Now that looks like the way things should be". If you're ever in San Diego, go there and say hello for me. :)
After Twiggs I met Robert and Kevin for breakfast at "The Mission". All I can say is I always look forward to the rosemary potatoes and rosemary bread.
It was great to see my boys and to catch up on our lives, relationships, and just laugh. These two friends are so special to me. I've known them at least 5 years. We all used to work together. We did breakfast EVERY weekend, holidays, picnics, etc. It's hard to build that level of friendship in a new place. It was off to get my hair cut after breakfast. Even that is fun because I've known the owner and guy who cuts my hair for ten years too. He was telling me about his trip to Hawaii and how it was one of those "hellish" family vacations. He started telling me how he and his wife were having issues with communication and misunderstanding and left me with the thought, "Anything worth having takes hard work". Boy can I relate. :)
My final stop was to hang out with my friend Marni who I met a few years ago. I made my way out to Pacific Beach and her and I walked over to Fred's for some Mexican food. I had a grilled mahi burrito. Tasty but way too big. We walked around a little bit and I was quickly reminded why I don't really care for the beach community scene. It's a great area but it's too young, too crowded, too focused on beer and partying, and too many girls walking around in bikini's. Yeah, guys, I know that's not a problem in your eyes :)
All in all I had a nice short but packed visit and got a chance to touch bases with many friends and family who are important in my life. It was nice to catch up, to catch my friends up with my own love life. Everyone is happy for me, lots of friends and family think TG is very good looking with lovely eyes...and I concur. Hopefully he can meet some of my people when he visits :)
The end...








2 Comments:
Ahh, the famous "Marni" who has prevented you from ever spelling my name correctly... ;)
Sounds like a good weekend. Hope to see you soon. There's a YABA lunch on 8.26.06 - interested?
Who is Rosemary Bread and Rosemary Potatoes? Those are fine nicknames but what's their real names?
Post a Comment
<< Home