Highs and Lows: Some good news, and some not so good: Reporting Child Abuse
I was asked today if I'd be interested in a 3 week substitute position at my school today. I knew immediately my answer would be yes; but there was a catch. I had agreed to sub this Friday for one teacher and in a couple weeks for another. A total of 3 days. Cancelling the one in a couple of weeks I think is fair. There is ample time for that teacher to find a good sub. But I had to find a replacement for the teacher on Friday because she wasn't pleased to say the least. Now, as a new teacher, cancelling last minute (for I told her that I would for sure cover it if I couldn't find another GOOD sub. I then went on a serious mission, all over my GIANT school. To the main office, up 3 flights of stairs, back down, across campus, begging a teacher who is going off if he could cover me, back up stairs...you get the idea. I found someone! Needless to say my body is actually sore from lots of shlepping around today.
The cool thing is this. Instead of getting paid $156 per day for 13 days, a total of $2028(that would be if I did the 3 week job with a break of one day because I was subbing for that teacher) ; instead, I will earn $224 per day for 13 days($2912). That's almost $900 difference! Granted, it won't come all on one check, and the government will get their piece of the pie; either way, it's good money that will come in handy for when TikkunGer is here, for flying to see my mom, for paying some bills, and for a little savings too hopefully (depending on how much I actually get after taxes). :)
So, my vacation officially starts tomorrow and I'll be up at 5:45 and heading to work to play teacher to a new group of kids as they start their new school year. I spent some time after school today getting ideas from a colleague about how to manage covering for 3 weeks. I don't want to just bullshit, though that would be the kickback way out. I want to do the kids justice and not have major work to grade. I think that's fair. :) He gave me some good ideas.
I'm pleased, and achey.
And the not so good news
The sad news of my day is that I had to call child protective services to report suspected child abuse of one of my students. The student shared with me some stuff yesterday, including showing me black bruises on their arms. Needless to say, my job is to notify the right people and get the student intervention. And so I did and they were sending someone out to the home tonight. I hope it all goes for the best.








3 Comments:
Hi Eshet, yes it's very sad and too common.
As far as teacher's pay. That rate is more than I make regularly. It's a differential rate for working when I'm supposed to be off. Basically, new teachers with a credential earn about 43,500 give or take some. It's not bad, it's definitely not great if you live in California and you take home, hypothetically, 2400 a month and 977 of that goes to rent (and that's IF you can find rent under 1k.).
:)
Oof. I'm sorry about your student; what a hard call to have to make. I hope you feel good that (s)he trusts you enough to share what happened. AND that another student wants to have you over for a meal! You must be pretty popular!
wow it's not so bad as most teachers make it out to be.
It's got to be difficult to handle such things, I guess it's part of your job.
Post a Comment
<< Home