Building Friendships
I think making friends with people as an adult is quite the challenge. I have a handful of very close friends that I met 5+ years ago at work, but they all live in San Diego and I'm now in L.A. I have one girlfriend who I've known for 15+ years, she's amazing, but lives change and so we don't see eachother all the time; however when we do, it's all good times like no time has passed. Of course there are a couple of amazing friends I've met through this blog actually. Unfortunately, those people also live quite far too. I'm not saying it's hard to be friends, I'm saying it's hard being in a new city and breaking into new groups of already established friendships. I'm talking about real life, heart to heart, deep connection friendships. I've met some wonderful girls here in L.A. since I moved back just over a year ago. Young women who have invited me along and included me in all sorts of cool stuff. "THANKS! You know who you are!". Young women who are successful, fun, kind; and yet, those friendships seem to grow only enough to know each other on a basic level, but not enough for a lifetime bond type of friendship. I've also met some girls who I really connect with on a spiritual level; like Judaism is a thing that connects us, but other than that, we're quite on opposite spectrums of life. Which, by the way, is not a bad thing. I like that friendships are diverse and multifaceted.
Part of building those friendships is really stepping outside my own comfort zone and putting myself out there. I was at a get together recently and was chatting with a cool chick, the friend of a friend, who wanted to see a movie I also wanted to see, so I suggested we go. I think the movie plan is still on, but does that make me a friend hijacker?
I'm not sure what made me think of this blog this morning; however, I think many people can relate to it. As a grown up we tend to have our ways, our interests, our "stuff" already and finding friends, or significant others even, is a challenge and actually takes real heartfelt concerted effort. Lives are busy, money is tight, work leaves us tired and dragging. Unlike when we were kids. As kids, we could walk up to any strange fellow kid, smile, and say, "Let's play". Ummm, out in L.A., walking up to an adult and saying "Let's Play" just has oh so many bad connotations. :)








8 Comments:
Hmm, I think I have someone else I'd prefer to "play wink wink" with. :) And you should too!
My newest crop of Chicago friends are from blogging. Acquaintances whose blog I started to read, who then started to read mine, who now write with me here or there. But it is such a challange to make and maintain friendships after college.
P.S. LOVE the cat photo!
Thanks Leah! Glad I'm not the only one finding this challenge. And the cat photo was to symbolize friendship, but let me be honest...Reebok, the tortoise colored one can't stand Chester. :)
Blogger ate my comment!
I understand where your coming from. I've always been on the loner side. I think it's this whole artist thing. I have a few good close friends and many acquaintances that are friendly and nice but we have nothing in common. I'm in my mid 20's and as I'm getting older I want to be social but it's very difficult to find people who are open to making new friends but I think it's worth it sticking your neck out there if you can get a special friend out of the deal.
I don't think your friend stealing since you both have something in common.
I love the cat photo too.
You're not a friend hijacker at all! It's so hard to find new friends as an adult. For someone like me, who has had almost exclusively male friends for years, breaking into the "female friend" world can be difficult. So, thanks for making it easier!
I started acting about 6 years ago at the ripe age of 44.
I have made over a dozen friends from people I have met acting. And the list keeps expanding. The great thing is most are younger than me, some by 20 years or more.
It is possible to make friends at any age, just find a common interest and the rest will follow.
I agree with the above. It's so important to make new friends as we move through our lives ... but it's scary! We still need to put ourselves out there and take risks.
In terms of the hijacking: I went to a party of a friend-of-a-friend's last night, and all of us had met through another guy, who *hadn't* been invited. Yikes.
It is hard to move to a new city and not know anyone. It does take a while. (I have been there). But you are kind and vivacious, so I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up making lots of close friends eventually.
Love your cats! So pretty. The one on the bottom looks a lot like my Chloe.
Post a Comment
<< Home