Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Little Things We Can Do...

July 19, 2006

Little Things We Can Do...


This is related to my post about the environment and the film "An Inconvenient Truth". I kept noticing all the water and soda bottles my students keep throwing away, so, I placed a box by my door for recycling. Not only will this help the environment but there is a woman who comes and collects bottles out of the trash cans after school. Hopefully she'll see my bottles, I'll put them outside, this way she can get a little money from them.

What little thing can you do to help out?

7 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Ro said...

I don't like to waste paper. If I see paper that has been written on or scribbled on a bit or a magazine that no one wants I turn them into things like purses, lampshades, book covers etc.

It's fun cheap and creative and recylicing.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Lori O. said...

Use reusable canvas bags when you go grocery shopping! It is unbelievable how much we waste using paper or plastic bags. And besides, canvas won't break and spill your eggs all over the floor.
Check this out:
http://www.ecologyactioncenter.org/waste-solutions/disposal-plastic-bags.shtml

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

recently I started doing what Nani was talking about, and I know it's not much but I always turn off the sink when I brush my teeth.
I saw this in an add, and not much effort nor sacrifice is required.
Apparently on the long run you save a lot of water.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Keep the good suggestions coming.

Another thing I do, don't think I'm gross, is that I don't always flush.

When I went to summer camp in the 1980's, water was an issue. We had a rule at camp that said:

If it's yellow it's mellow-
If it's brown it goes down.

Yup, why flush after every pee? Especially if you live alone and don't have to worry about offending others? Just remember to flush every few times so you don't clog stuff up.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Lori O. said...

We had signs up at our camp, but they certainly didn't conserve water:

Poop, flush
wipe, flush

Apparently, we had some plumbing issues going on.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

I recycle and I scoop the dog poop with 99.99% biodegradable bags. :)

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Dori said...

My work has no recycling, so I collect recyclables at work and bring them home. Recently I've been re-using my plastic iced-coffee cups. I buy 100% post consumer waste paper for the office, and I use those biodegradable trash bags. ALSO, I just got a car, and am full of shame about this, so I intend to donate a percentage of my annual gas expenditures (which I track) to an environmental group. It's my own self-imposed eco-tax.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home