Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Customs Agents and the Internet

June 30, 2006

Customs Agents and the Internet

I forgot to mention what happened as I went through customs in Ottawa.

When I got off the plane I walked over to customs. The airport is quite small, convenient; for you L.A. folks, it's like Burbank Airport. There was no real line at customs since I made a stop at the ladies room to freshen up and brush my teeth. I walked up to the window and this is what took place:

Customs Agent (CA): "Hello" with a smile
TamaraEden: "Hi" as I hand my passport and declaration papers
CA: "What brings you to Ottawa?"
TamaraEden: "I'm here visiting a friend"
CA: "How do you know your friend?"
TamaraEden: "Well, it's the guy I'm dating"
CA: "You didn't meet on the internet or anything like that did you?"
TamaraEden: (at this point I'm thinking I have to lie or I could be questioned)"The internet? No...(I chuckle)....Friends of our's introduced us"
CA: (she starts stamping papers and stuff, so I ask)
TamaraEden: "Why do you guys ask about the internet is it a big problem?"
CA: (She explains that sometimes people meet on the internet and then move there illegally. Additionally, there have been cases where a person gets off the plane, says they are meeting someone from online, the customs agent will search the said person and find out they are a minor or something to that effect)
TamaraEden: "I think it's great you guys ask that. I'm a teacher and the thought of weird things happening disgusts me".

I then am waived through so I could go meet my internet boyfriend for the first time. :) There is humor in that part.

3 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Good lesson, never be truthful to the customs in airports :)
At least the questioning you got isn't as bad as the third degree I get when I come to the US.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Ro said...

I haven't flown out of the country in a few years. I'm really glad that they are asking that question now.

Enjoy your stay in Canada!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

She has you pegged. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home