P-Life Finds Hope
Last night I got an IM from a friend. She referred me to a blog in which I was the topic of discussion. GO FIGURE! I visited the blog of PassionateLife and found this entry about Ger and I. Needless to say I was sort of suprised:
It’s nice to know that others are going through and sharing many of the joys and worries of a long distance astounding connection. It’s doubly a pleasure when the couple in question are also fellow bloggers. It’s great to read about the power of feeling connected and understood while sharing the same outlook and approach to life. The description of the almost magnetic draw, the addictive impulse to talk all night, to keep on connecting with another likeminded soul is so overpowering.
To find others who has found that and watch them navigate all the pitfalls that are inherently bound in trying to make two independent lives into interdependent lives is very affirming.
The bloggers I speak of are Tikkun Ger and Tamara Eden. I found Tikkun Ger after reading his post about connecting with Tamara. It very much reminded me of my relationship with Sabrina. Then I read some more about him and was amazed that a person converting to Reform Judaism can have such a deep understanding of many of Hashems core values. Read about his conversion process and the depth of his sincerity and deeper understanding.
I wish them much Hatzlocha in their budding relationship and on his incredible spiritual drive. More power to you my friend, I am in awe of your journey!!!
I first want to say that I don't want to jump the gun, or as TG says, put the cart before the horse. Our relationship is very new. We have not had a first meeting yet, though that is happening on June 28th. Yes we get along well and have a wonderful connection but there are stumbling blocks we'll have to skin our knees on a little to make this work. So why bother? Well, it's worth it. G-d doesn't place people in our lives on accident, and this reasoning is enough for me to follow my heart and my gut.
And so, my response to P-Life's post is pasted below.
Dear P-Life:
I am shocked that I, of all people, have popped up on another's blog as a sign of hope. Esther of JDatersAnonymous IMd me tonight and asked me if she's been so out of it that she had to find this info out by reading your blog. :) Esther and I actually do know each other, though we've only met a couple of times. Nevertheless, you can imagine how suprised I was when she told me there was a blog about me.
First, let me thank you because it feels good to know that you too are going through something similar. And, if anything, YOU are the hope since you've been at it longer. I think I could learn something from your Sabrina. Your whole piece about her ability to modulate in your relationship is something I can learn from.
For what it's worth, TG and I are dealing with a similar thing now. Granted, our time frame is much wider (neither of us are Orthodox or shomer negiah) and, as you've read in his blog, he has things he needs to accomplish before moving to the next stage in his life, whatever that may be.
This is such a detrimental thing to many relationships; timing. I came into this, as I posted before, ready for a serious long term relationship. I wasn't planning on meeting someone via my blog, in Canada to boot! But I did. And he's an amazing man that I'd be a fool to not be open to exploring a relationship with. But speaking of timing, he was not looking to date, and has some plans that are not flexible (nor should they be, school is a huge priority and committment of which I support).
And so, just as your Sabrina seems to have figured out how to make your situation work, and to work with you, I too am learning about this "stuff", and learning about me in the process.
Again, thank you so much for sharing and again for giving me a moment to reflect. I wish the two of you a (G-d willing) long, healthy, and joyous life together.








6 Comments:
Tamara,
Hmmm… Esther must be really busy these days. She usually has her finger on the pulse of the blogosphere and anything new and exciting will show up on Jdatersanonymous. Particularly when it’s a whirlwind romance such as yours. ;-)
The truth is that for singles particularly for those of us who have been in the game for a while it is tremendously uplifting to see a fellow “single” finding and connecting with a possible soulmate in a magical way. It gives all of us some much needed hope and encouragement that even after dozens of frogs a prince or princess can appear and just envelop us in that cocoon of understanding, deep connection, love, and affirmation.
It is akin to straggling along in the desert with a deep thirst that washes over our hearts for years. Sometimes it’s so enticing to just give up hope and continue walking with a heavy heart and a mind full of negativity and fatalism.
Reading about people who have been in the desert for so long, who have also experienced so many frogs, actually connecting with a prince, invigorates us all.
I take great encouragement Tamara from your journey as do many other (less vocal) singles. It takes courage and guts to put yourself out there, both to be in a relationship and risk a broken heart and certainly to blog about it and share it with the world.
But there is so much to gain from it. We have so many notions that a relationship will be “perfect” without having to make compromises, without having to dig deep and find acceptance and even to embrace your partners mannerisms, customs, and flaws that are different then your own.
When people see that we can have differences and overcome it, then when there are some struggles in their own relationship its easier to accept and find a way to work things out.
Relationships and romance takes work, compromise, and adjustments to many of our long held notions. There are too many variables in a human being and there will be some that are more difficult for us to accept than others. But at the end of the day if you can see what an amazing human being your partner is and can see their beautiful neshoma and you would be proud to stand next to him or her to strive and grow together for all to see, then you know you are on the right track, regardless of preconceived notions of what would be the perfect partner for us.
Clearly from reading TG’s blog he has lots of things to accomplish in his life and he is striving beautifully to do so. Those objectives will require a lot of compromise, patience and understanding on both your parts and I will be rooting for you as I follow your journey.
Long distance relationships can be a real drag as Sabrina and I are discovering but never for one moment did we think its not worth the extra struggle and expense to connect with someone who makes our world spin. There will be days when this issue becomes a major struggle, but it’s completely worth it to stick it out until a brighter day when you can be together.
Thank you for your bravery in sharing your journey and inspiring so many. More power to ya!!!
P-Life ;-)
PLife, thank you so much. Your words are heartfelt and appreciated. I agree with ALL you wrote. There are tons of compromises and bending and flexing and patience and WhoA, so much. And...if being patient has bigger rewards in the future, then I think it's all worth it. We shall see. Distance is hard for so many reasons, besides the obvious not being together; distance creates an environment in which two people can get to know each other much easier, much more real, and on a much deeper level (at least this has been my experience). I'm more than confident that if Ger and I lived in the same town right now, and our paths did cross, we would not be dating because he was so intently focused on NOT meeting anyone and staying on his path. OR, even if we met and clicked, we would not be so far along in getting to know eachother. All I can say is I hope I have the strength to, should it all click and work, make this work over a long period at the distance. I for sure believe in my heart that he's worth it!
Amishav: Thanks! You are wonderful!
The newspapers had Dear Abby and Ann Landers, the yenta sisters. Who wants to be Dear Bloggy for the 21st century?
Those were some wonderful words and thoughts there P-Life. In his usual Groucho fashion Marty raises the interesting point of history.
I saw this happen in the days before blogs, with just list servs. Just email, and occasional very expensive, very long distance phone calls. And with lots of letters. Before that it was done with just letters, by hand or typed. There are eons of stories of romance being conducted almost exclusively by post. Our late President Harry Truman did this with his beloved Bess, writing to her almost every day for most of his life. (She was that very rare sensible woman who upon seeing the what the social 'swirl' of silly Washington was like, chose to go home to Missouri instead! How much did Harry love his Bess? He continued to live with his MIL for most of the rest of her life too!) But I digress...
So long distance romances can and do work out, it just takes time and lots of patience & carefully considered mutual compromises. They do indeed have a long and treasured history of words and worlds coming together to form a union of souls, thinking and moving in time though a life shared in love & friendship. We can hope and wish you and TG all the best Tamara.
From the time we were first dating until after we were married, there was not a single month when I lived within 1000KM of my wife. Indeed there was nothing in our wedding announcement to indicate we had ever previously met. (Hey, it would have cost extra to explain it all!) It was not until after we married that we set up regular housekeeping together. It would take another year or so after that that until I was finally moved in from a neighboring state. We did it with letters & phone calls mostly too.
It's never easy or simple, and it will undoubtedly be the cause of certain strife & hardship for you both. But with perseverance, understanding and a generous loving heart, it can and has worked. It's just way, way older than we suspect. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'
VJ:
Thank yous so much for such an awesome comment. Honestly, this is the most revealing you've been and I appreciate it. As usual, you know your stuff and always amaze me.
I will have to remember your "carefully considered mutual compromises". Good advice to remember.
I was suprised that you and your wife met long distance and didn't live together. You both must have had an immensely strong and romantic love to maintain it at such a distance. You are a man with much patience.
Thank you again, oh, and how many miles IS 1000km? Do you even live in America ;)
I'm really not the self revelatory type Tamara, this is why I don't blog.
We did meet in school (undergrad), but there was about 6 year separation after that. We went on a grand total of one date together that she barely recalls, and still denies to this day that it was a date. I transferred out, she stayed behind & graduated. When we started dating again we were in graduate schools about the same distance away as the former under grad schools we wound up in. By the time she was more seriously interested in me, she had a job that required some considerable travel. I told her that if she was ever within combat radius of where I lived, I'd come out to visit with her. That's about 250MI (depending...), and so we did get to know each other a bit better after that. I could often make the day of it as my schedule as a poor grad student did allow me plenty of time for travel, if nothing else.
So how long ago was this? One of my fond memories is of that hometown airport that I often flew into & out of when in grad school. I often come to this place running late. I'd park on the street right outside the terminal. Put a couple of quarters in the meter for the entire weekend. (That'll keep it!) I take the several steps into the terminal. Running down one of the 2 corridors, I could always tell if the plane was there or late, as they had so very few docks. Then you'd go down the steps to ramp to the tarmack. (You know the runway?) And then you'd Climb the steps, (on those movable stairs) to, yes indeed, your jet. (The Constellations 'Connies' were still at the end of the runway however). It was lovely, and the airport was open enough that you could get in all those lovey dovey last minute embraces you see in the movies, but never in real life any more. After a visit, I'd always shout out something silly and ridiculous so she'd have to turn around and smile or grimace as she was going down the ramp to the stairs. Just like the movies too. Try that on the Customs service and I'd expect you'll be detained for sometime.
Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'
Post a Comment
<< Home