My school ain't so bad...

Good news about the school I work at, we're doing pretty darn good comparatively to other public schools across the U.S.A. This week "Newsweek" published an article that lists the top 1200 schools in the U.S.A. My school ranked in the upper 300s. That's pretty darned good for an urban school in Los Angeles.
Schools are ranked "according to a ratio, devised by Jay Mathews, that is the number of Advanced Placement and/or International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students at a school in 2005 divided by the number of graduating seniors. All of the schools on the list have an index of at least 1.000; they are in the top 5 percent of public schools measured this way. " I know that there is controversy in how the schools are ranked; however, my school has over a 90% passing rate for the CAHSEE (California High School Exit Exam) which is also something to be proud of.
I'm so thankful to be in a school that, although not perfect, I can proudly say I work there and not feel shame.








7 Comments:
Oh, wow, that's awesome. And it's clear from your posts that you're contributing to your school's success, one student at a time.
Annabel's right! From what I've read about you, they couldn't ask for a more devoted teacher.
No wonder the school did so well!
hi Tam
that's so cool, congratulations it must feel good.
I just had an interesting thought but, you know what? I'm not going to share it.
geez now I'm all self-conscious posting on your blog, its like everyone's watching me
Tikkun, you're silly. Nothing to be shy about, but I have to admit it's cute.
Let's ask the other commenters...should he really worry about commenting? Realisitic feedback is appreciated.
That's awesome. But you should never be ashamed, you have a very noble profession, out there making a difference, inspriring young minds, that's always something to be proud of.
Be true to your school!
(I didn't make that up)
congrats, it certainly must feel good to work for a school that is not considered a low quality one.
Now how about a post discussing what lakes teh school you work in special/good?
Post a Comment
<< Home