Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Blog Worthy Comment

May 07, 2006

Blog Worthy Comment

Ok, this post was originally a comment to the post on TikkunGer's blog. It was suggested to me that this was a 'blog worthy comment' and so, I'm sharing this, putting myself out there. Some of you have asked why people would put such things on a blog. First, this is my blog, my forum to express myself. Sure, it's public, but there is nothing here that I wouldn't say to anyone in real life. As a matter of fact, many who read this are in my real life and this is one way to share a piece of me, my life, my doings. So, if you think this forum is odd, unconventional, impersonal, perhaps reading the following post will be too mushy for you :) This is your out...read on if you dare :) (I'm such a smart ass)

After reading this post I could do nothing but sit here with a tear filled smile and my tummy doing backflips of joy. You see, I, unlike Ger, have been looking to meet someone; however I haven’t really been pro-active. I mean, I go on and off of Jdate, but never really have any dates, unlike my friends Hil and Annabel Lee (who is no longer on Jdate btw). My dating life for the last year has been 2 dates with two dorky guys, bad conversation, the dreaded Jdate interview type dates. I was fed up of being single, trying to date and not dating, so I cancelled Jdate. Last month I rejoined, hoping against all hope, that maybe, just maybe there was a guy on there who was looking for someone like me. A guy who enjoyed being part of a larger Jewish community, who didn’t eat shell fish or pork, who would gladly keep a kosher home, and who was ready in his heart and mind to take on a for-real, grown up, marriage minded relationship. Being back on Jdate was the same as before. Lots of 25 year olds writing (ok, I look young, but I’m 33!). And so, I only joined for one month and have since cancelled...happily. Anyway…

So I write a blog one day about my issues with reform Judaism, and some passionately-disagreeing-with-me-guy named TikkunGer replies. So of course, I need to see what this guy is about. I go to his blog, and I read, and read and read. And something is quite interesting about him. His whole conversion process, his ability to write, and the fact that we have hugely differing opinions. On one comment I asked how old he was. You all wanna know what that got me? It got me an odd email saying, just in case I had this in mind, he was not interested in dating, looking, etc. What a strange first interaction. He thought I was a Jewish girl in L.A. HUNTING for a husband and trying to get my claws in him (o.k., maybe I'm exagerrating, but he definitely was giving me the brush off even though I never came on to him) :)

Well, we immediately started talking on IM, and maybe a week later on the phone. It’s been a short time, and yet this amazing Canadian and I have built a completely unforeseen connection. It’s something that I struggle to put in words. It’s something that I understand in my deepest soul and yet it baffles me daily. I go to bed smiling. I wake up smiling. I don’t worry when or if he’ll call, because he always does. Our talks are always amazing, sometimes goofy, never disrespectful or careless. We don't always agree, but in the end, each of us seems to move a little towards the middle to a compromise. His interest in me is pure. His caring for me has my best interests and needs always in mind.

This is all scary stuff. Scary in that taking risks in life and changing really put us face to face with our most true selves. Life has no guarantees. I don’t know where this will lead. I have good feelings. I know it’s odd and new and far and…100% worthy of jumping in and giving THIS a whole hearted effort.

So Ger–Yes, you outed me first; and it was the best outting a woman could get. The fact that I’m replying right now is exciting and vulnerable, like REALLY being out there. Like when you first hold hands in a new relationship out in public. I feel amazing and I know that every single word you shared are words we’ve shared and feelings we’ve expressed. I love that you and I are very REAL people in that we know the reality of making this work. There are no expectations, only hopes. There is nothing unrealistic or impossible. I thank you for always seeing the cup half full when my cup always seems half empty. I appreciate you making me stand on my head to see things from the other point of view. I think you are an amazing grown-up man with so very much to give that my cup, today, is overflowing. I’ve never experienced ANY relationship on this level of purity, honesty, and trust. I’m loving it and the end of June can't come soon enough.

(Disclaimer: Now, I know my mom might read this. I know real life friends will read this. I'm smart. I'm safe. I'll be safe when I travel, so no worries. Oh, and a few friends will have his name, i.d., phone, shoe size, social security number, address, shirt size, elementary school records, and such on hand before I go.)

12 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww!

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. How very sweet and exciting! See you tomorrow night... :)

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

WOW, I feel so silly. Like happy, giddy, wearing my heart on my sleeve silly. :)

Hilary...agreed

Amishav...thanks. I mean, no guarantees no expectations but yeah, we are wonderful people. :)

Mia...thanks hon. You are always too sweet and I appreciate your words.

Annabel...perhaps I won't have to explain so much at girl's night now. I mean, it's all here, and there on his. :) G-d knows I can talk so if I keep going on and on, you girls will have to stuff Ethiopian food in my face. :)

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger justanotherSWJF said...

I've been a longtime lurker and yet, this is my first time posting. This is such a wonderful thing to read on a Monday morning. Enjoy this new connection, seems like this couldn't have come at a better time : )

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait...girls night is next week.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Oops Hil...next week? I can't check my email at work, but I'll make sure I have the right dates. But I do think you're right, the 16th?

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. Because I have bookclub the second Tuesday of every month, so I know tomorrow is out for me.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

d'oh! My bad. Alright, then, see you a week from tomorrow!

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I don't know who gave away who, but it's nice to see some of this transnational understanding stuff for real. I mean besides the soft wood lumber disputes. And the fisheries battles, another perennial favorite topic.

Closer to home thse strange electron flights have a way of rearranging people's lives. We can never predict what might happen or even if these outcomes are likely or necessary. [http://cukezone.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-we-met.html]
But happen they do.

[http://www.electrolund.com/2006/05/sarob/#more-637]

And it's always heartening to see it happening again. Happily one of you still has a valid passport too.

The short course on how to talk sensibly to a Canadian:

1.) The news is here: [http://www.cbc.ca/] Yes, it's very good too.

2.) You can get a nightly news feed from these people via RCI's 'Cyberjournal': [http://www.rcinet.ca/rci/en/].

I know you've gotten along fine perhaps w/o all this, but it can't hurt to know more about this foreign culture and their curious habits & customs. Then you too can ask for PM Poutine by name! Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

VJ, always thorough. Thanks for the link to the happy romance story. Do you know them or something? They both have cool blogs.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

LOL, VJ I'd totally forgotten about that Prime Minister Poutine comment, you gotta love Rick Mercer and stupid Americans. Okay that's not to say all Americans are stupid, but Rick does do an amazing job of finding those who are. For the Americans who thought they got burnt by me, let me explain a little more. Rick Mercer does segments and sometimes TV specials called "talking to Americans" where he travels from Canada to the states and interviews people off the street on a variety of things about Canada, but usually making up a ridiculous jokes and stories. Stuff like Canada just got grade 9, what do you think of it as an American or Canada's just getting its first airline what should we call it air moose? It's really funny stuff.

And the prime minister (which is the Canadian equivalent to a president) comment made by VJ, is totally embarrassing, because if my memory serves me right, it was either asked to the president himself, Mr. Cheney or a very high level aid. For those of you who don't know Poutine, its a French-Canadian meal consisting of french fries, gravy, and cheese curds, the Priem mInstests name is Not Poutine . You'd think someone at the White House might be able to distinguish between tasty food and an actual prime minister.

Anyhow VJ thanks for reminding me about that it's way too funny.

Cut to 30 minutes later.

OMG i found the clip you go to see it.

Http://www2.stephenville.org/bush.mpg

And if you want more here is a page full.

Http://home.comcast.net/~wwwstephen/americans/

Ok anyhow I am off.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Good luck with this. I hope that it goes really well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home