Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Ahh Yes, A Meme

May 03, 2006

Ahh Yes, A Meme

Yup, I am officially cool because all my cool online friends, Annabel Lee, Hilary, Tikkun Ger, Amishav, Nani...have been tagged and now, Nani has initiated me.

I hereby tag MIA to read this and do her own :)

Sigh...here we go

Accent:
I grew up in "the valley", nothing valley about my voice. People I say I don't sound Californian, some say I sound a bit east coast, so I really dunno. I guess I sound Tamaraish

Booze:
Hmmm, no real favorites, but I did love Leffe beer in Belgium. Not a huge drinker

Chore I Hate:
Cleaning the bathroom (but I could steal Nani's, grading homework too)

Dogs/Cats:
I am a dog person with two cats :)

Essential Electronics:
Laptop, wi-fi, cell phone, digital camera.

Favorite Perfume/Cologne:
On me: Something vanilla or natural but not overly floral
On a guy: Something fresh, nothing perfumey. Oils are better than overpriced colognes

Gold/Silver:
Silver, but if I could, platinum.

Hometown:
Los Angeles, CA

Insomnia:
In general, I sleep great. Though lately, being sick and other "stuff", my nights have been with little sleep.

Job Title:
High School English Teacher.

Kids:
G-d willing (and before I'm too darn old)

Living Arrangements:
It's just me, Reebok and Chester (cats)

Most Admired Trait:
Hmmm, real. Trait I most admire in others: Honesty and caringness.

Number of Sexual Partners:
What's sex? It's been a while ;)

Overnight Hospital Stays:
I think just the time I was hit by the one ton pick-up-truck and had a fractured skull. True story. I was in the 6th grade. Some say that's why I'm so nuts ;)

Phobia:
Belly, my own.

Quote:
My own: "If you don't let others give to you, you take from them the gift of giving" Someone else's: "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Religion:
Jewish.

Siblings:
two brothers, 3 step sisters passed away: one brother and a sister that came before me and died within a couple of days

Time I usually wake up:
UGH! between 5:30 and 6:15, depends if I am washing my hair :)School starts SOOOO early.

Unusual Talent:
Hmmm. Can someone help me with this one?

Vegetable I refuse to eat:
Green beans, I try every year at Thanksgiving, everyone loves that dish, I still don't.

Worst Habit:
Wow, I probabally have many I don't know. But maybe nail biting.

X-Rays:
Definitely. So many.

Yummy Foods I make:
Hmmm, most things I make come out tasty. Personally, I like my fish with lemon, soy sauce, sesame, fresh basil leaves and tomatoes. (sorry fish hater)

Zodiac Sign:
This is "bull". :) Actually, Taurus, birthday Saturday. :)

MIA have fun :)

13 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you're one of the cool kids now... ;) Just saw that you're not coming tonight. We'll miss you. But girls' night is coming up, yay.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Maven said...

what does "meme" mean?

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

• As defined by Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976): "a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation." "Examples of memes are tunes, ideas, catch-phrases, clothes fashions, ways of making pots or of building arches. Just as genes propagate themselves in the gene pool by leaping from body to body via sperms or eggs, so memes propagate themselves in the meme pool by leaping from brain to brain via a process which, in the broad sense, can be called imitation. ...
www.silcom.com/~barnowl/chain-letter/glossary.htm

• Richard Dawkins’s 1976 coinage, on the analogy to gene (with a little aid from mime and mimic), for a cultural copying unit, such as the word or melody that is mimicked by others.
williamcalvin.com/LEM/LEMend.htm

• A unit of cultural information that represents a basic idea that can be transferred from one individual to another, and subjected to MUTATION, CROSSOVER, and ADAPTATION.
www.agsm.edu.au/~bobm/teaching/SimSS/glossary.html

• an idea, project, statement or even a question that is posted by one blog and responded to by other blogs. Although the term encompasses much of the natural flow of communication in the Blogosphere, there are active bloggers and blog sites that are dedicated to the creation of memes on a regular basis
www.fzelders.nl/weblog/

• viral encapsulated idea, with built-in feedback loop.
www.awaredesign.co.nz/glossary.html

• a cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one generation to another by non-genetic means (as by imitation); "memes are the cultural counterpart of genes"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

• The term and concept of meme (pronounced in IPA; from the Greek word μνήμη for 'memory') is a neologism that first appeared in the 1976 book by Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene. Though Dawkins defined the meme as "a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation," memeticists vary in their definitions of meme. The lack of a consistent, rigorous and precise definition of a meme remains one of the principal criticisms leveled at memetics, the study of memes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

OH GEEZ Ger, I thought I had been spammed, but it was just you with overload of information :)

I thought you were sleepy.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

LOL, I just did a quick Google search for definitions and copied/pasted so no real work involved.

Actually here is a little trick you might like as a teacher to show your students as a research technique.

Go to Google and type

define: (insert the word you're looking for, but make sure there's a space between the: and the word you're going to search for.

For example define: Tofu

Try it out, I bet you think it's cool!

Anyhow, you know me always the polite Canadian trying to help.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger kasamba said...

So Tamara, you're from the valley but you like, speak like, a valley girl?

(Really sorry about your stepsisters and sisters! May you and your family only know good health!)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Annabel: Thanks :) Looking forward to it too

Fancy: See Ger's answer :)

Ger: Thanks for the GOogle tip, but you should know I'm a googler.

Kasamba: Noooo, I don't speak like that at all! Oh, and nothing wrong with my stepsisters, I think you meant my brother--but thank you.

Amishav: I'm not offended you didn't tag me. It makes sense Nani does, her and I are friends in real life, not just on the blogs :)

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

Oh by the way Nani wants everyone reading Tamara's blog to seriously consider supporting Bob Rae

http://www.bobrae.ca

in his efforts to win the upcoming leadership race for the Liberal Party of Canada.

She thanks you in advance for your cooperation.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

Tikkun? Aren't you supposed to be doing work or something? You should really work for Bob's campaign, he'd appreciate it. FYI, most of my readers are American and you know how most of us American's don't "do" Canadian stuff :) (I said most) :)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you got me crying here. Really. Canadians! Geez, we're never done. Bobe Rae?! I helped him out on one of his first(?) unsuccessful campaigns. Before he retired for the first time. Before the silver hair. Don't even get me started on Michael Ignatieff, I knew his dad George. You guys are making me feel like an ancient mariner adrift in a sea of words and ever smaller spits of dry land.

Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said...

ho did i delete my post?

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Just thought I would say hello. Haven't been here in a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home