Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

April 08, 2006

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

My last two nights in Amsterdam were quite mellow. I relaxed, watched some t.v., walked through town, visited my (which I hadn't mentioned yet) favorite little coffeeshop. This place was quite small and only local people in it. For me, this was perfect. I didn't do any museums or anything spectacular. At this time I was, to my own suprise, quite homesick. I really missed my bed, my cats, my home. Oh, and I REALLY missed American style breakfast! You better believe it's one of the first things I did when I got home, but that will be in the next post.

My last two days had my thinking about my vacation and about my life. My life is good. I have a great job in which I make a difference in young people's lives. I live in a great apartment with my rabbi and shul half a mile or so away. My Jewish community here is great and I've been building new friendships with some great people. However, traveling alone makes it very clear that I am single. It wasn't me watching happy couples and feeling jealous, it wasn't the numerous sex shops that made me think of single life. What it was...was thinking that I had so many great moments, moments that would have been even more special had they been shared with someone I love. I think this hit me hardest in Antwerp. It's odd since I'm not a big diamond or label wearing girl; however, staying in the diamond area and each day walking past windows and windows of thousands of engagement and wedding rings. I couldn't help but be mushy and think how special it would be if I was with a significant other and we spontaneously were engaged and got our rings! OY! Crazy I know. I also spent part of Shabbos afternoon at a park in Antwerp. There were many many families with their children, spending a lovely afternoon in the park together. Being a religious community, most of the families were Jewish and it made me long to have that as well. But I digress...I think you get the picture. What it really made me think is that I need to be active when I come home and get things taken care of here. I need to go to more events and meet people!

2 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I don't travel Europe alone anymore. While I enjoy it, I get lonely. Totally understand.

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Karl said...

"I didn't do any museums or anything spectacular. At this time I was, to my own suprise, quite homesick. I really missed my bed, my cats, my home. Oh, and I REALLY missed American style breakfast! You better believe it's one of the first things I did when I got home, but that will be in the next post."

However much we like to be away, home is always home; the familiarity of everything. Unknown can be good, but you don't know until you try it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home