Back in Amsterdam, Hotel Stories

After returning to Amsterdam, I was much more contented. I really love the city and only hope to return another time with someone special to share it with. Since I was trying to stay low budget, I got a hotel that ended up being pretty crappy. I would not suggest staying at Hotel Old Quarter. Let me explain, it's not a horrible place, and they do have a great bar and restaurant downstairs. I got a twin room because I really didn't want to do the sharing a bathroom and shower thing. I'm all about community, except when it comes to hotel bathrooms. And so, I got my twin room. Walked to the back of the restaurant, through a door which I was buzzed into. This is actually a nice thing about this hotel. The security is great and the bar and front desk are 24 hours. I go through a narrow hallway to the elevator (another plus). Up to the 2nd floor I head to my room. WHOA! When I walked in it was a long narrow room with two twin beds with metal, horrific, bed frames. The sink was next to the bed I chose to sleep on. I chose this one because where the tv was mounted, the other bed would have sucked. Plus it was next to the window with some loud generator sound all night. The bathroom freaked me out. A small room, think two bathroom stalls size. In that little room, with a plastic shower curtain, was both the shower AND the toilet. Yes, that's right, you shower WITH the toilet! You can be assured that I showered with my flip-flops on. I also turned the plastic curtain around to the side with no water marks or soap scum...smart I am! Oh yeah, this place was on the outskirts of the redlight district so if it was boobs or marijuana I wanted, I was surely in the right place. LOL








3 Comments:
Sorry you could not use any of the MJ or the skin. The hotel deal is pretty amusing from this distance, but not uncommon from the experiences of others. The standard issue room is usually the way to go, unless you're doing luxury, that way at least you get access to a real bathroom. You got one of the 'keeps' or stalls. Umm, how to out this delicately, they're typically used by clients for only short term visits. That privacy comes with it's cost, crammed quarters and a severely abbreviated head. Just like on ships. This is also why the security was good, and 24 hrs. I knew Nani's package would come in handy though! Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'
VJ, it was definitely NOT an hourly type place! Give me some credit. First, it was booked online. Second, there were many people staying there for a while; I know because you see the same people at breakfast. Third, if this room was intended for sex, it would be very dull. The beds were too small and skinny, and you'd hit your head on the sink :)
OK that's just one possibility there Tamara. The next would be for a room for late arriving backpackers paying for a one day a week splurge, and not wanting too much from it. But the point was that such single rooms are typically an after thought for many European cities. And you did mention it was 'close by the red light district' which might still qualify it for a 'hot sheets' sort of venue. The Rick Steves bed sack was definitely a good idea too!
But it's all amusing to contemplate in retrospect. Me, I get a little, (OK a Lot) more pampering when I travel. Otherwise I'm more cranky than usual, which is very unpleasant and generally even more costly. You pays you money and you take your chances... Cheers & GoodLuck! 'VJ'
Post a Comment
<< Home