Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Commentors - Twp Types of Travellers - BTSA Conference

March 11, 2006

Commentors - Twp Types of Travellers - BTSA Conference

Commentors: I just want to thank the handful of people who read my blog. I can't say I'm the most interesting writer all the time. Heck! I can't even say my grammar skills are superb. Hopefully, whatever it is that keeps you peeking in is of value on some level. I mean, how horrified I'd be if I were to find out you come to my page in mere boredom! Oh the travesty! Again...thank you. I wish I only knew what it was that keeps you coming back. Soon, you will want to read about my upcoming vacation and view pics. I can't wait to have a vacation to report about :)

Two Types of Travellers:
There are two types of travellers. There is the person who decides on a location, books a flight, books hotels, and goes. This is not me. The second type of traveller, on the surface, is the same as the first. In other words, we pick a place, book flights and hotels. But, before we simply hop on our flight, we research, read, post to message boards, ask friends, ask strangers, hold signs on street corners requesting information, we write to embassies and tourist boards, we drive our friends and family crazy with myriads of scattered and random travel information that nobody wants to hear about because they aren't going on the trip and get bitter about your constant obsession :), we read fiction and non-fiction about or set in the locations we are going, and we create 10 page Excel files with our itineraries, schedules, points of interest, museum times, addresses, hours, AND if that's not enough, we also own at least 8 travel books that we consistently thumb through until we arrive. Yup, that's me! And so, in my neverending quest to read stuff (by the way, I read tons of info, I remember very little!)I came across a great Anne Frank website with very interesting details, historic information, pictoral documentation and facts about not just Anne Frank, but about the people and places in her life.

BTSA Mid-Year Conference:
This morning I was up at 6:00am. OUCH! It was 59 degrees in my apartment when I awoke. It was in the mid 40's and raining outside. It hailed in the afternoon. In other words, it was cold for L.A. Today was yet another (I haven't mentioned these in a while) mandatory, all day conference, unpaid, for the new teacher induction program. This is mandatory for all new California teachers. I wouldn't mind these things so much if the presenters were good, and if I could remember half of what I hear. Today we went to 3 sessions. Two of which we got to choose. The third was a keynote speaker.

Session 1: Keynote Speaker - Carolyn Chapman - Author of: "Differentiated Instructional Strategies" (we did get a free copy of this). She was a vivacious speaker, who spoke about TOO MUCH random, disconnected, out of alignment topics. For 90 minutes we sat there, most of us perplexed as to what the heck she was getting at. I learned not a thing about the topic, Differentiated Instruction. What did I learn? I learned all about her daughter, her daughter's school history, her daughter's 4 black belts, her daughter's basketball achievements, her daughter's boyfriend, her daughter's luck in becoming a model, her daughter making 2.1 million before she was 18, her daughter and how her daughter couldn't learn, and she made it in life anyway. Was this what she wanted us to learn: Even if students have learning disabilities, if they are pretty, they can become models and make millions of dollars? If so, then she succeeded. If there was some other meaning in her presentation, it went way over my head, and the heads of everyone else.

Session 2 - Presenter: Gail Thompson -Author of: "Ebony Voices" Title of workshop: "Move that Mountain: Eliminating Stumbling Blocks to Reading Achievement" This session wasn't horrible. I liked her. I liked what she had to say. She got a little sidetracked with stories and putting people in the audience in check for talking when she was speaking. A bit rude, but point made clear. I did learn some stuff with her. 4 things teachers do that aide in lack of success:

1. Deficit mindsets about students
2. A boring curriculum
3. Not using diverse teaching strategies
4. Limited knowledge about how to assist struggling readers

Struggling readers need teachers who believe:
1. all students can learn
2. most students WANT to learn
3. stumbling blocks CAN be eliminated
4. every student is giften or talented in at least one area
5. there are resources available to assist low readers

Session 3 - Presenter: Dave Belinsky - Title of session: "Boys and Girls Learn Differently" I loved this session and the presenter. He came phenomenally prepared. We all received a folder with diagrams, facts, statistics, scientific evidence of how boys and girls learn differently. We did interactive Venn Diagrams discussing the differences we find in our male and female students. He spoke great, was hilarious, had video clips, powerpoint supplements. He was a phenomenal presenter. Not to mention, he gave me the only free copy he had left of, "The Boys and Girls Learn Differently Action Guide for Teachers" by: Michael Gurian.

All in all, that last workshop made the day worthwhile. Free books are great, even if I never get around to reading the multitudes of professional development books I have now acquired. I did receive two other free books today (4 in total).
"Becoming a Successful Urban Teacher" by: Dave F. Brown.
"The Boys and Girls Learn Differently Action Guide for Teachers" by: Michael Gurian.
"Differentiated Instructional Strategies: One Size Doesn't Fit All" by: Carolyn Chapman
"The Organized Teacher" (really for elementary teachers)

6 Comments:

At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Nani, free teacher schwag has it's definite purpose. It's part of their very effective marketing campaigns. Think of it as PR that you willingly spread around and use.

Me, I read many, many things. I enjoy it mostly, and I don't have cable or satellite either.

And effective strategies are all fine & well, but have they given you basic hand to hand & bayonet training. You don't want to know what I think of that BS Ms. Chapman is sprouting either. I've got little tolerance for this sort of navel gazing anecdotal and personal stories that never quite relate to the situation at hand. Most of our children will not grow up to be tall, leggy, beautiful supermodels. They likely won't grow up to be pro-sports millionaires either, but their chances are actually higher that it happens to them that way. Just amazingly boneheaded the way you describe the session. Bottom line? As an educational professional your keynote speaker told you in intimate detail of how she failed her daughter, and how the kid succeeded despite this massive failure of the system & her parenting. In other word, yes, it's the great American success story. Familiar to everyone, and hence useful as a stage set for her pet theories. Sort of like GM still pushing the cars that don't sell firm in their belief that they just need a better marketing campaign to sell their clunkers that get low mileage.

Every student learns differently. All have talents, many will not be reached or served adequately by the current system. It was many years before I could pass my old school's without shuddering in remembrance of all the fools, fallacies & not so fun folly that went on in there.

Some teachers try incredibly hard to keep up, some just 'get along', back in the day there were a few who actively used their position to abuse kids with needless bureaucracy. Always, someone must be standing in the middle and recalling that that kid is just human. Fallible, fragile and often frightened, and it's your job to not only try and keep them safe, but to help them learn as well.

It's a tall order, always a brave and increasingly dangerous task, and I wish like hell we knew a bit more about the process, but in all too many ways, we are clueless as to how it exactly happens and why. Which is why we all need 2nd & 3rd chances to get it done, and why this allowance and the acknowledgment of same is critical to the venture and process of learning. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger marty said...

Tam, I read your blog because I am completely ignorant and need education. Had I had a teacher like you when I was in school, maybe I wouldn't be asking people all the time if they want fries with that.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Wow VJ...great response. I still want to know who the heck you are :) By the way, I whole heartedly agree that a BIG part of my job is reaching the students on a personal level. Don't read that wrong. I mean, before they will learn, they need to feel like they have an adult they can trust, a teacher who actually cares, and someone who will listen. I have to say, as I've shared some of my little winning moments here, I'm doing well in that area; especially for a new teacher.

Marty: SHADDDUP and get me my damned apple pie!

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Tamara, I agree with what you're saying about the relationships. It used to be a bit more 'neutral', but in this day and age you really have to make it well known to all and sundry that you are a vigorous advocate for all of your students. I'm sure you're well on your way there. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Lychee said...

Tamara,

I was there, in that room at the BTSA conference. I think you are actually quite kind to the keynote speaker. VJ was more on target. Unfortunately, my other two workshops were not any better than the keynote speaker. One on technology use in the classroom discussed nothing about technology. The only technology was a PowerPoint presentation that any of my students could have put together.

I'll stop again to see how things are going in your classroom.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Lychee said...

Great post and description of yet another uninspiring BTSA event. Both you and VJ are on target in your analysis of the keynote speaker. My workshops were, unfortunately, not much better than the keynote speaker. I left there feeling cold and irratable and wanting to quit teaching if it requires suffering though a lifetime of professional development like this. Then I go back to class and my students teach me something new about how wonderful teaching can be, so I hang in there for a bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home