Amsterdam - Day 2 - "The Terminator"
Saturday started off with breakfast across the street from our hotel. I had eggs and a crispy whole grain baguette with milky coffee. Milky coffee is basically a latte. Breakfast was fine, with the exception of the company I am currently in. I'm looking forward to being on my own. Although, the person I came with and I are no longer hanging out and I think it's best we simply don't speak :) I sincerely say that with a smile. It's ok, in my opinion, if two people realize they just can't stand eachother.
After breakfast we haeded to the Amsterdams Historisch Museum. This is a great way to start a first visit to Amsterdam since the museum gives you a full historical background with wonderful artifacts dating hundreds and hundreds of years back. As an American, it makes me see how young America is. I finished long before my travel partner. I waited outside for about 40 minutes and finally went in to locate him. I told him I was moving on to the next place I wanted to see since it was already 3 in the afternoon and I want to SEE a lot of sights. In additions, the IAmsterdam card is 53EU, and only good for 72 hours. It includes entrance to many museums which means I can't fathom wasting the whole afternoon in one place. And so, after a little spat (I won't go into details out of respect), I was on my way.
I took the tram to the Dutch Theatre Holocaust Memorial. This theatre was taken over and used by the Nazi's to hold Jews while waiting transport to camps outside of Amsterdam. It was very moving and a good place for some moments of silence and a prayer.
Next I was headed to the Dutch Resistance Museum. This museum is dedicated to telling the story of the many Dutch who risked their own lives by hiding Jews, infiltrating the Nazi's and doing espionage work in order to fight against the travesties that were happening in their once Democratic city. I enjoyed the museum and the fact that it is very hands on and interactive. Anyone planning on coming to Amsterdam should do this and the memorial. And they are around the corner from each other too! I took a stroll in that same area and discovered something else.
I stumbled upon an Auschwitz memorial in a park. The memorial is simple, made of shattered glass. Quite thought provoking actually.
I was ready to go back to my room and do a few things before finding dinner and winding down the night. And so, this is when I told my travel partner that I was going my way when we leave Amsterdam. There was definitely stress and frustration in this conversation; however, I'm quite confident I am doing the best thing for me. No point in traveling with someone and being unhappy and stressed out. It's the best thing and I feel so much lighter over it. And so, after the heated discussion, it was time for dinner.
I followed a suggestion and went to a great little local vegetarian restaurant in the Jordaan district which is right near my hotel. This is a great area of residential apartments along with wonderful tree lined canals and just all around beautiful.
More updates to come...








9 Comments:
It's practically like being there Tam but I'm beginning to think your travel partner is a problem.
Just enjoy it, instead of sitting in net cafe all day!
Karl, I'm not you! An hour a day in the net cafe saves my legs and feet :)
If you need to go your own way, go your own way. See what you want. I only needed a travel partner at night for dinner really.
I went to the Jewish Museum and the Anne Frank House, but didn't see any of the Jewish museums you mention.
Tam, you should short sheet your travel partner's bed. Then, when your travel partner is asleep put their hand in warm water.
Your welcome.
Marty of Asshole Control
Hi Tamara,
Mom here, to bad you could not leave him on a rock like I did years ago when traveling, Opps, did not mean to sound mean:) Keep your money, at night while sleeping near your cnoushie (blame Ricky for that word), and to hell with him. It must be very hard to travel dragging your own A--, let alone another anus!! Love the photos. Love you. Your Mommie
OK that almost clears up that question. I liked the pics Tamara, you look swell in them. Sorry for the troubles with your T.P. I'm often reminded that older folks have trouble traveling for any number of reasons. For me just coming back from a short vacation, it's all the memories you've stored up over the years that may be an issue. I go through once beautiful forests and mountains that have been clear cut and alternatively curse, cry and pout. It's not as fun as it used to be, and it's not just me. But yeah, the drug issue in a prior post should have rang bells for a certain segment of the population. Cheers & Good Luck! Have fun & take plenty of photos for the kids. 'VJ'
VJ, almost clears up what question? Tomorrow I leave for Brugges, ALONE :)
And, my travel partner is not an ""older"" person.
:)
I shudder at the possibilities here. In other news from the states you may have missed Roy Clark's old partner Buck Owens died the other day. You can still see them both on old Hee Haw episodes. I'm sure they've got a fan club in Brugges. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'
Post a Comment
<< Home