Why this teacher can't be fooled UPDATE
First, thank you for your comments. The update is this: Head counselor had something come up and wasn't able to meet with the student and I. When I saw the student I told him that he needed to come see me at lunch. Of course he agreed, and didn't show. This means that at least one of two things will happen. He will be called in on Friday so that the head counselor and I can talk with him. And/or, since tomorrow is Back to School night, I will be having a serious talk with his parents. I bet he is so freaking scared right now.
Now to respond to your comments:
Mia--Thanks, it has it's moments :)
Dave--A) He most certainly understands plagiarism is wrong. He's an 11th grader in high school. It's something that I personally have talked about in addition to the fact that it's consistently taught throughout high school. He's in his last semester of his 3rd year. Adults need to stop making excuses and start making teens take responsibilty for their actions. B)As far as his family and circle of friends goes. His parents are very concerned about his education. I've talked with them last semester. C)He's an athlete which means he has an investment in doing well because he becomes ineligible to play with bad grades. D)His friends are athletes too, so as a collective group, they understand the importance of good grades.
Leave--Thanks hon! I thought you were still considering it. Did something change?
Scwitt--You are a non-lazy cheater :) I hate to suggest a student has a disability. However, after spending from July of last year to the present with this same student. Seeing that in class he tries, he pays attention, he struggles, gets frustrated, state test scores are low, and he does his work...I have to rule out laziness and start wondering if there isn't something else going on there. I do agree with you though that we have to be careful about labeling kids in ANY sort of way.
Michael--Ha Ha, I like your sense of humor! Now get your arse to the deans office :)
Nani--You go girl!! Love ya!








1 Comments:
I said you knew better than me. That's why you're the teacher and am just some yahoo critiquing the teacher.
Post a Comment
<< Home