Memories of an old friend and someone in need of a prayer...
I have not kept in touch with any friends from my high school days. There was Paula who I lost touch with after high school and then one day in San Diego we bumped into eachother. We would talk now and again. I attended her wedding. Sine then, we've not been in touch.
Then there is Shel. I sort of had a crush on Shel in high school. He was sort of funky, unique, intelligent but cool 1/2 Jewish guy . He was a basketball fanatic. We used to tease eachother about the sport; he a Bulls fan and I (by default of where I lived) a Lakers fan. This was in 1990-91 when the two were big time rivals and always in the playoffs together. Shel and I were the kind of friends who were only friends at school. As a matter of fact, we weren't close friends,he used to tease me and give me a hard time...all the time. A high school boy's way of flirting (I didn't see it then though).
After about 14 years since we graduated, Shel found me via the internet. He emailed, we communicated a few times. It was nice to touch base and reminisce about high school days. We lost touch again for about a year. Then, when I moved back to LA six months ago, he again got in touch with me. We started talking on the phone now and again. He revealed to me that he always had a crush on me in high school. I told him, "Umm, why didn't you ask me out you dork!". We only knew each other our senior year in high school. He told me he regrets not asking me to the prom (this is so odd since SO many years had passed). So, we started talking more often, but nothing sparked for me romantically. He suggested we try seeing eachother and consider dating. I was not interested for a number of reasons, the first two being that he lives out of state and that I am much more observant Jewishly speaking.
After not talking for a couple of months, Shel called me tonight with very sad news. He had had a seizure recently and had been going through testing at the hospital. He is the same age as me, 32 or 33. He has a little girl, no wife. He found out he has a golf ball sized tumor in his brain and started chemo-therapy today.
Please, if you are a person of faith, with a pure heart and a caring soul, say a prayer. He, his daughter, and his parents really could use some strong prayers and love sent their way.
Thank you, and may the people you are close to in your life stay healthy, strong, and loved.








2 Comments:
Wow. I am thinking good thoughts for him Tamara. How scary.
Oh, my goodness. So sorry to hear it. I'll keep your friend - and you - in my prayers.
Post a Comment
<< Home