Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Do it Yourself...

February 21, 2006

Do it Yourself...

IMG_0625 IMG_0628 IMG_0630 IMG_0631
Couches. Yes, there is such a thing as a Do-It-Yourself affordable couch. I was in need of a new couch due to horrible pattern and too many pet accidents (even though you can't see or smell, I knew, and that was enough). I finally gave in and ordered a couch. But I can't afford a couch so I ordered from HomeReserve.com which has a unique thing. You order a couch, and it comes to you in 2 or 3 boxes depending on what size you order. You put it together yourself (see photo of daunting puzzle pieces), and voila, for under $400, you have a decent couch. The fabric is awesome. You can pour a pitcher of water on it and it just literally, rolls off! It is a special "pet care" fabric. Well worth the few extra dollars.

Putting it together was manageable. I like the way it looks. I don't like that the base and back are not upholstered, but you can't tell by looking at it. One of the best features is the storage space under the cushions. :) I'm weird, I know. A couch online! It won't last forever, but for me, for now, it's good.

7 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger marty said...

I ordered underwear online. Same concept, you have to put it together yourself. I still think it's wrong that the hole is on the side.

Enjoy your couch Tam.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

Yes, all by myself. It's pretty comfortable. Cushions are VERY firm but will soften up as I sit on my fat tush :) I'm just hoping they last, not sure if this type of foam will hold up. But for the price, I can't complain. Well, I could, but what would be the point.

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK this is seriously funny. I saw the OSB board and it brought out a bright grin, I knew what was coming next. But no! It's a couch! Damn that's unique. Then there's the DIY house that can withstand 100MPH winds:
[http://www.fas.org/housing/harlem/]. It's a long term project of the FAS for 'robust' housing that would be survivable from hurricanes & monsoons. There's also a DIY concrete block house that comes in a single 250Lb 'suitcase'. Just add water. But the couch looks fine Tamara. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

VJ, your acronyms are unknow to me :) But thanks :)

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Urban Dictionary: [http://www.urbandictionary.com/]
comes in real handy here Tamara. Might help with the slang kids use today too. But DIY [Do-It-Yourself] is pretty old. OSB is Oriented Strand Board, the stuff most 'woody stuff' is made of now a days. FAS.org of course is for the Federation of American Scientists. A fantastic site with lots of good ideas for kids and adults. It can answer many of those pesky science questions in the news, especially on military/technology/security matters too. Cheers, 'VJ'

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

See, this is what I love about the internet. People researching and doing things and then sharing their ideas with the rest of us. I wish my site had more to offer. I'm learning a lot.

And good for you. I've stuck to buying small things, like CD racks.

My word verification "sookxpms"

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for commenting on your sofa. I can't get normal furniture down my narrow staircase and heck, this looks ideal for me to get a sofa for my basement! I have a recliner - I HATE it, but I can't get sofas or a chair-and-a-half to fit the stupid staircase (you'd think they'd have a building code, right?). A regular chair just doesn't leave enough room for my kitty-cat buddy. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home