Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Yes, Third Blog Today

January 05, 2006

Yes, Third Blog Today

Tomorrow I will have many students absent. Armenians celebrate Christmas on January 6th. Working at a school with a huge Armenian population means lots of absences. I guess it would be the same if you went to a school in a highly Jewish area on a Jewish holiday, lots of absences. Even if it's not my culture, I respect my students and am glad they taught me about their culture today.

For the overwhelming majority of Christian denominations, the Christmas holiday culminates with celebrations Dec. 24 and 25. But Armenian churches wait until Jan. 6.

The observance of what has come to be called Armenian Christmas underscores an almost 1,700-year divide between the Armenian church and most other churches over when to mark the birth of Jesus.

CLICK FOR FULL STORY

2 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Blogger marty said...

I guess the cool thing about Armenian Christmas is taking advantage of the post-Christmas sales for presents for your own Christmas in January.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Oooh, good point Marty...you think like a true Yid...always looking for a deal :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home