Wednesday What Nots...
The Book
Finished reading "Girl with the Pearl Earring". I really enjoyed the story and the references to real paintings. I'm so curious if the truth behind Vermeer's life and this girl are even remotely close to the truth. It's a well written book, simple to read, not hard to understand.
Girls Night
After reading about Annabel Lee and Hilary having stupendous girl's nights, I asked, with the encouragement of Nancy, if they would let me know when they do it again. I'm still trying to build friendships since I moved back to LA. I guess Saturday I'll be joining them for dinner and then a HUGE Karaoke shindig. Should be fun!
Speaking of Nancy
She and her new beau just posted a very unique and odd and sweet story of how they met. Worth a read.
Teaching
School is going well. Four week grades are due. Parent conference night is next week. Students turned in an actual completed and revised typed essay to me. It seems it took a while for me to get there with them. But, I'm a first year teacher, still learning and working through it.
My Boys
My boys from the group home are royally pissed off at me. This is to be expected. I have had to call their home a couple times. I am hard on them because they NEED it. If they didn't need structure, they wouldn't be in a placement. When they are VERY late to class, or simply don't show up (happened once, ends up they were caught high and drunk on campus), I call the placement and tell them. I did this yesterday and now they are bitter. It's ok though. They can hate me for being hard on them, at least they'll know I care. At least they'll know someone takes the time to follow through. At least they'll know there is a teacher who is looking out for their best interests. They may not realize it for 5 years, but I know they know. And that, for me, is being a successful teacher.








4 Comments:
You "guess" you're having dinner with us before karaoke? What, we're not exciting enough for you to commit? :) (FYI, an e-mail's coming your way with details...)
Damn Girls! You are all on me like a (enter your favorite adage here).
Annabel Lee...yeah, I "guess" you're exciting enough. I mean, I do afterall, lead such an exuberant social life that I have to be particular in my choices of whom I socialize with. As said in Grease 2, "I've got a rep to protect".
(p.s. I'll be there with bells and pasties on)
Nani: Where to begin...you are just far far far too cool for me. I mean, really, what did I do to deserve such friendship and joy from you. I mean, you are so nerdy and cool and.....FLASH! Crap, I must have been hallucinating!
(p.s. I love you too bizznatchity)
Yeah, really--are we only good enough for an "I guess?"
Who's in charge of the pasties?
I'll be there....umm....put the pasties are really really pointy, not sure how I can drive with those things on!
Post a Comment
<< Home