Trying Out a New Vocabulary Lesson
I got these great vocabulary books to use in my English classes. They have clear lessons, ten words each. The definitions are easy, include entymology, examples, activities that model standardized tests. There's one problem...the SAT vocabulary in the workbooks are too challenging for my tenth graders, especially my sheltered students. My mentor and the literacy coach at school suggested teaching them academic vocabulary because most students don't understand words that you and I might take for granted. Academic words are used in directions on tests, textbooks, forms, applications, etc. Today I did a search when I got home and found a Jim Burke site called EnglishCompanion. Using the words from there, I created the following lesson. I typed the following instructions at the top of the page followed by the vocab word, a definition from Longman's online, and a sample sentence (also from Longman's). Re-reading the lesson, I think it will go over well, it will be easy for me to grade, and it will force them to do some creative thinking and some reading of primary materials.
The following words are for your vocabulary test on Friday, February 3rd . For each of the following words please:
Create one flashcard for each word (word on front, definition on back). Use these to study.
(DUE MONDAY, JANUARY 30th )
Choose 5 of the vocabulary words and create a visual representation of the word, be creative!
(DUE WEDNESDAY, FEB. 1st )
Using the 5 words you didn’t already illustrate, find sentences in newspapers, magazines, ANYWHERE. Cut out the complete sentence and glue to the back of this sheet.
(DUE TEST DAY)








4 Comments:
Tam, can you teach me some new words?
Sounds interesting. I think you should definitely tell us how it goes. Sounds like your students won't ever be bored.
G Green? Tell me that was sarcasm? This work is simple, just activities to hopefully force them to learn.
If I had a teacher like you in school Tam, maybe things would've turned out differently.
I could've been NORMAL!
(sorry to use the N word)
Post a Comment
<< Home