Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Some Thoughts on Why I Teach...

December 09, 2005

Some Thoughts on Why I Teach...

On my previous post, Pragmatician left a comment that triggered a quick stream of thoughts. I thought I'd post them as a post.

Pragmatician, don't get me wrong. I love teaching, even in its beuracratic b.s. It's a wonderful career. No, I'll never be a millionaire, no, I'll never run for vice president of this company, no, every student will not respect or even like me...but...that one or two or few students that I actually reach make it worth all the while. Whether it be by showing them there is someone in their lives who cares about their successes in life, by sharing with them a story whether personal or literary that helps them to grow, or if it be simply by encouraging them to just be good people...whatever big or small contribution I make, it's worth it.

You know, I never though of doing ANYTHING other than teaching my whole life. I knew I was teacher material. Instead of playing house, I played school as a child. It's true. I can't imagine doing anything else; and somedays I'd rather be doing anything other than this. But, we all have our off days, especially when we're the new teacher at school.

3 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Rabbi Seinfeld said...

Good for you! We need more lights like you in this dark world.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

I always thought that teaching is such a rewarding profession and I can totally see why people go into teaching. I'm sure that like any job it has it's moments, actually it probably has more than it's share.

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

I guess you have to be sort of very idealistic to do this job.
And I think it's wonderful that there are people willing to put with this.
And it's true that sometimes the feeling of having touched a life is worth more than a salary increase.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home