Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Minority Report: Thoughts on the "Holidays"

December 12, 2005

Minority Report: Thoughts on the "Holidays"

As I sit here, laying on the couch, blanket tucked around me to keep out the slight California chill, I find myself in a state of perplexity. I am watching the news and of course the Tookie Williams case is on; however, that's not the only top news this evening. Tonight some ministers are calling for a boycott on retail stores that have a no "Christmas" policy. They are freaking out over the fact that some businesses choose to use a more neutral holiday them like: "Happy Holidays" or "Home for the Holidays" or even "Season's Greetings".

So now, as I watch the news, I want to ask the ministers (see article links below) these questions. How would you feel if when you went to the store you could never find a ham for your Christmas dinner? Christmas trees were only available at a few select stores, ornaments were far and few and cheap, and some "other" carols bombarded you in stores, cars, and even on street corners coming from the voices of some "other" group's carolers? I think you making a big deal about the differentiation of Christmas to Holidays makes not only a mockery of your particular churches; but it shows total insensitivity and intolerance to others.

Growing up Jewish I had a sense of pride in who I was. My heritage was always significant. I wore my star of David necklace proudly. I also remember the "holidays"...the non-Jewish ones that is. I remember having to sing Christams carols at school, coloring Santa Claus and bells and snowmen (which have become a Christmas symbol). I remember demanding that my girl scout leader make me art projects that were Jewish and not the traditional wreath making or santa coloring. I was a minority from post-Thanksgiving until New Years.

Merry Christmas Or Happy Holidays? Ministers Take Stand
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - As a debate brews across the country about the politically correct way to greet someone during the holiday season, some local church leaders are taking a stand. Ministers at churches in several Piedmont counties are asking their congregations to avoid patronizing retailers who insist on wishing their customers "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."


Some megachurches to be closed on Christmas
This Christmas, no prayers will be said in several megachurches around the country.

Even though the holiday falls this year on a Sunday, when churches normally host thousands for worship, pastors are canceling services, anticipating low attendance on what they call a family day.

Critics within the evangelical community, more accustomed to doing battle with department stores and public schools over keeping religion in Christmas, are stunned by the shutdown.

2 Comments:

At 3:22 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

It just shows how 'christian' kratzmich (reverse) really is, I think for most Americans it's just a fun day, nor work, no school, family time and presents. No more than that.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

I agree with prag. You'd think that a greeting like Happy Holiday would make everyone happy. Nope, they want to disclude... are we turning back the clock here?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home