Chanukah - Third Night
Tonight's Chanukah activity was the big Chabad Chanukah Celebration at Universal City Walk. This was much bigger than I ever imagined. There were hundreds of Jews, young and old, observant and non. There was kosher food, balloons for kids, and lots of entertainment. Eighth Day performed, Avraham Fried, and another children's performer (sorry can't remember his name). The Chabad head for California spoke along with some other community members including a congressman. When it came time for the giant menorah lighting two of the "Spy Kids" and a player from the Boston Red Sox did the lighting. Between performances speeches of the rebbe, speeches of presidents and dignitaries, and the like, were played for all to see. I had a nice time (could have done without the videos of Arnold Shwarzenegger and President Bush (the first) lighting menorahs and such...but hey, all us Jews can't be conservative). I saw friends there which was great. It makes me see that I'm slowly but surely building a community of friends and support here. One of the Marcus Brothers (can't remember his name--he's the one singing in the pic on the video screen)saw me and said hello and asked me how my rabbi was. I happened to attend a Sukkos party at his house this year. That's also a great feeling when someone you meet once remembers you.
I hope all of you had a great 3rd night...tomorrow will be pictures from yet another big community celebration. :) It's a Chanukah first for me, doing so many activities and parties...but hey, I'm on vacations so it's wonderful!








6 Comments:
Avraham Fried, not bad there must've been a great ambiance.
sounds very cool, I would have loved to be there.
Sounds fantastic!
Wish the'd do something as big like that here.
Tam, you're not going to believe this but I'm familiar w/the Marcus Brothers and their movies. Let's see there's Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo and Gummo. I thought they'd all be dead by now. Which one did you meet?
I'm origionally from LA, so ive had many years of the fun Chanukah Experience, although I dont really remember any "celebrities" lighting the menorah. Were they Jewish at least?
RBR: I assume they were all Jewish. One was a congressman (definitely Jewish), another a player from the Boston Red Sox, also pretty sure he's Jewish. The other two were two of the "Spy Kids". I don't watch that show (movie?) but I'm assuming they too are Jewish. I mean, this was a Chabad sponsored event.
Post a Comment
<< Home