Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Chanukah - Night One

December 25, 2005

Chanukah - Night One

This first night of Chanukah happened not as I planned, but exactly as it should going to go to a big party with a $10 fee/donation to get in. Since I had decided to go to San Diego last minute, by the time I got back to L.A. today, I was running a little late for that party. I stopped by the A.T.M. on my way home and noticed my local Chabad setting up a giant menorah and with a small street blocked off, permits and all for the menorah lighting.

I decided I would go to my local Chanukah celebration instead of across town. The party was nice, quaint. There was of course sufganiyot, latkes, some deli food, decorations, bouncy jumpy things for kids, toys and dreidles for kids, and free aluminum menorahs and candles for all. :) The entertainment included a member of the community doing mime and magic which the kids loved (the pic is them pretending to be dreidels)!
(umm, so did the adults, more than the kids maybe) Later on they played "Mitzvahnairre", a take on "Who wants to be a Millionaire".

Afterwards a friend needed a ride home, so I volunteered. As we arrived at her home, you could see half a dozen menorahs set up in the window, and tons of people milling about. She invited me in, and I accepted graciously. Being Chabadniks, Chanukah is a big joyous family get together time. WOW! What a big family! I was invited in, welcomed, invited to stay for dinner, and was even given the traditional Chanukah gelt (not chocolate). I put the $5 that her father gave me into my tzedakah bank. Their family was amazing. I've never heard Chanukah songs sung with such enthusiasm and joy. The love illuminated the home even more than the Hanukkiahs. I had so much fun watching the family laugh and kvetch and joke and sing. I was the only non family member. It was a lovely evening and a blessing to share in familial celebrations. My family got together for Chanukah a week ago, but we don't celebrate the same way, so this was special.

4 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Blogger marty said...

Happy Hanukkah Tam!!!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger 3pillars said...

It's nice to see how everyone is sharing the light and joy of Chanukah with others! Doesn't it make you proud to be Jewish and part take in it?

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Nani: The big deal comes from remembering the deeper meaning. Forget the latkes, gifts and gelt. The history of the holiday is grown up and not about little kids at all.

Marty: Happy Happy CHANOOOOOKAH to you too :)

Eshet: Adults were playing dreidel (albeit with the kids) last night. And, the joy and dancing of the adults in this family would make you feel Chanukah was JUST for you :)

3-Pillars: Of course, that's a silly question. I went and read your blog. I left some pretty strong reactions to one of your posts. Thank you for visiting mine either way :)

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family got together last week for Chanukah? I think you meant your paternal side, maybe!!

Love your Mother

 

Post a Comment

<< Home