Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: "Because You're Pissed off Miss"

December 07, 2005

"Because You're Pissed off Miss"

Although I don't consistently blog about teaching, I was told BY Nancy that I had a blog worthy story. So here goes...

"Alright, I've had it! Take out your books, open to page___, read silently, answer questions ___. DO NOT SPEAK, DO NOT ASK ME QUESTIONS, DUE AT END OF CLASS, no exceptions". Then, after I bitch and moan, I give them my "It's time for you to care... 12th grade will be here before you know it....You'll have regrets....show some respect...I'm frustrated because I care...blah...blah...blah"

Today, yet again, my tenth graders pissed me off. The problem is they NEVER shut up. They can be rude. And worse, it's not ALL of them, but it's enough that every teacher who has tenth graders dreads it. All it takes is 5 or 6 badass (or trying to be) kids to change the dynamics to the extent where learning is inhibited. Tenth grade classes in California are larger than 9th and 11th. Both my 10th grade classes have about 39 students on the roster; that is not to say they all show up. Actually, if they all showed up, I'd be short about 9 desks (whoops). 39 Kids is ALOT to handle! My 5th period class never fails to piss me off to the extent where I become that teacher I dread becoming.

My poor 6th period class (thank goodness there are only 19 on the roster...about 12 show up). Oftentimes they get me after the evil 5th period. Today when they came in I told them I needed a break and that instead of reading first, they would work on their storyboards for twenty minutes. I totally knew I needed to deflate, they had individual and small group work to do, so I deflated. They worked like angels, so quiet and focused that I commented, "Wow, you're all so quiet today". To which they replied, "It's because you're pissed off Miss". They know me so well :) Even if I did try to play it off that I wasn't pissed.

Being a first year teacher is not without MANY challenges and adversities. Usually, first year teachers at my school don't get assigned tenth grade classes. There is this evil phenomena that occurs in the tenth grade and the kids are ....umm....errr....HELL. So, when I was hired at my school, I was informed that the person they had first hired changed their mind at the last minute and I was their next choice. Initially I didn't get the job because the position was for tenth grade and, as I stated, new teachers just don't do tenth grade. I digress...

4 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

HAHAHA, I took care of that !!! HAHA, funny...I adore you but not enough to call you "mine". Gotta love typos!

:)

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Hmm sure takes away my regrets at not having become a teacher myself, which was sort of a dream a few years ago.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

I could never teach. I have an amazing amount of respect for you and all of the other teachers. Hang in there, I'm sure things will get better and if not, just start drinking.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Pragmatician, don't get me wrong. I love teaching, even in its beuracratic b.s. It's a wonderful career. No, I'll never be a millionaire, no, I'll never run for vice president of this company, no, every student will not respect or even like me...but...that one or two or few students that I actually reach make it worth all the while. Whether it be by showing them there is someone in their lives who cares about their successes in life, by sharing with them a story whether personal or literary that helps them to grow, or if it be simply by encouraging them to just be good people...whatever big or small contribution I make, it's worth it.

You know, I never though of doing ANYTHING other than teaching my whole life. I knew I was teacher material. Instead of playing house, I played school as a child. It's true. I can't imagine doing anything else; and somedays I'd rather be doing anything other than this. But, we all have our off days, especially when we're the new teacher at school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home