Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Why Does Everyone say: "Pittsburgh?!@!?.....

November 14, 2005

Why Does Everyone say: "Pittsburgh?!@!?.....


Why Does Everyone say: "Pittsburgh?!@!?.....when I tell them that's where Nani and I are headed at the end of the week to attend the NCTE Convention (National Council of Teachers of English). Everyone says it's a yuck of a town. However, the pictures I've seen look quite nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the city. Are any of you, my dear readers, in Pittsburgh? Both of us teach English in city schools, her in the "boogie down" Bronx, and I in a residential community in Hollywood which draws students from a HUGE variety of socio-economic backgrounds.

So, I'm finally feeling a little excited (happy now Nani!) about going. My classroom looks ready too! This week and next week's vocab cards are on the word wall. Do you know the definitions of: reverie, din, corpulent, deft, vacuous? Don't worry, neither do I by heart, nor do my kids! :) I have the entire week's plans on the board; a day by day guide. No suprises. Thursday and Friday my students have it easy: films and a vocab/chapter test. Tenth graders are viewing "Schindler's List" (letters went home to parents on Friday) which will add a sense of realism while they read "Night" by the amazing Elie Wiesel. My eleventh graders are watching, "Finding Forrester". I think I'll have them do some reflection on how the American Dream relates to Forrester, or rather, ho he relates to IT. Since the movie is not directed related to their novel, "The Great Gatsby", I figured this was as good as any attempt to connect.

4 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

I found this blog surfing.

You'll be pleasantly surprised, how pretty you'll find Pittsburg.

Regards.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger marty said...

Nobody deliberately goes to Pittsburgh on vacation. That's why it has that rep. Disneyland or Pittsburgh, tough choice there.

 
At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great page by the way and pittsburg isn't so bad! Just not exotic.. :) I've always wonered.. how old are you?

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

Renegade: Thanks for popping in :) Check back, I'll let you know what I think of P'bgh.

Marty: It's not a vacation. It's work related...not saying some drinks won't be had and a good time to boot!

Katie: Thanks for the compliment. I'm not sure if you're asking because I'm so mature and refined ;) or the opposite; nevertheless, I'm 32. Hey, do you have a blog or webpage?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home