Dates, Plea for Friends, Teaching Round-Up
Dating: I always thought I was good at reading people and situations; however, I'm realizing that when it comes to dating, I'm a bit clueless. I've dated plenty, I've had long term relationships, but not in the last five years. I know what you're thinking, "Dang! That's one LONG lapse". The difference of where I am in my life today versus five years ago is immense. I am clear where I am, where I'm going, and fully ready to embrace not just the "idea" of a relationship but the ACTUAL thing. Now here's the problem. I can't tell anymore (when I was younger I could) when a guy is really flirting, when a guy is asking me to "hang out" or "have a date". The little that I do date, it seems like I'm just hanging with a friend, it's all very strange. So, yesterday I hung out with a new "friend" and can't read the situation at all. I wonder what it all means...the fact that I feel clueless that is :)
Plea for Friends: Moving to a new city is challenging. Granted I am from L.A. originally; moving back is like being new because I know very few people. I've met a few very kind people but building meaningful friendships is hard. Being the "new girl" is awkward because I hate to be inviting myself or asking to be invited to parties, shabbats, etc. So I have a plea...if you know someone new to your area whom you like, think is cool, etc. Think of them now and again. Invite them out, introduce them to cool people. It's so hard and I think...no..I KNOW that us new folks would really appreciate it. Besides, my other new friennds are gonna get sick of me not knowing anyone else :) (that was a joke)
Teaching: I took it easy on Friday and showed both my classes videos that relate to what we are reading. The tenth graders are about to begin "Night", so we watched a video of Holocaust survivors being interviewed. The eleventh graders are reading "The Great Gatsby". For this we are focusing on "The American Dream" so I got a video with immigrants talking about what it meant to them when they arrived by boat and saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time.








2 Comments:
Dating- starts w/friendship and escalates sort of like the onset of an illness; there's a pleasant analogy
Meeting people- getting involved in activities/groups/volunteering will enable you to meet more people.
Teaching- I wish I could go back in time and be in your class. But only if you promise not to pick on me.
Dearest Marty ;)
Dating: DUH, I know about friendship. It's the men not being clear if you are just hanging out as friends, or if there is some OTHER interest in mind.
Meeting people: You know I do things. I've only been in L.A. 4 months so of course it takes time...basically I was venting. I actually bumped into someone I met at a shabbos dinner and a party last night at the dinner I was at. See! It's just a slow process GRRR
Teaching: Marty, you would have been far too advanced for my class, but maybe you could be my student aid :)
Post a Comment
<< Home