Return to Norm....or is it?
I finally am back "on track", meaning, my two months off work are over and I am back in the classroom. I don't understand (well I do, it's just silly) why we start back after a long break on a Thursday. Understandably, many things happen:
1.some kids don't bother coming until Monday
2. most kids still don't have their brains back
3. teachers and kids are getting used to waking up before 6am daily
4. and finally...teachers don't do over planning because it's already the end of the week
This has been my experience anyway. These two days went more or less smoothly; however, today had it's moments.
BUTTHEAD: I have a serious butthead student "G". G is actually a nice kid. I like him. He's smarter than he lets others know. He's got sarcasm and humor. BUT (and there's always a butt), he has issues with authority from women. Before we went off track, G and I had our conflicts; to the point where I sent him to the dean. I was informed at that time that he has had other issues with women teachers, even to the point that a teacher complained he was sexually harassing her. Today G was trying to be "funny" and talk shit about my boots. Tall black boots with a long skirt. He does this in the middle of class, which is an obvious distraction. So, I asked him to stay after class (one advantage of having him right before nutrition break). I told him that this was his ONLY warning, that I won't put up with his crap, that I will call home, schedule a mandatory parent conference...in other words, I put my BOOT down! He'll act up again, because he's the kind of kid whose mother babies him and spoils him. THis is no assumption, without stating his cultural background, just understand that his respect for women (or lack thereof) is partially cultural...G has another thing coming if he thinks this shit is gonna fly with me.
MISSING: My 6th period class only has 19 students on the roster. Wasn't it nice that 9 of my students came to class today. It makes for a mellow class, kind of casual and quaint. Weird considering I have a total of 142 students on my rosters.
RIPPED: See previous post of the day...this deserved to be its own post.
CABLE: Waiting for cable guy to come hook up my internet / wifi. Finally I'll have a normal speed connection again. I was using my neighbors wireless signal, but hers is down and for a couple weeks she hasn't gotten it fixed. By the way, she gave me permission to use her service...I'm honest like that :) I also decided to cancel my cable TV. I have hundreds of channels of which I never watch. Basic Plus cable is still $35 a month and only gets me channles that I never watch. It doesn't even include HGTV! So, I decided I'm going to go for the $10 service which gives me my basic 13 channels; these are the only channels I really watch my shows on. So...I think it's a wise decision. Faster internet, less TV :)
I hope everyone's weekend and Shabbos are peaceful and relaxing :)








1 Comments:
$35 for basic cable????? I pay $63 for basic cable and $38 for WIFI. RRRRR....Oh well, at least I get to say that I live in Moosepoop.
Post a Comment
<< Home