NY 2005 - Day 5 "All Jewish, All Day"
After going to bed at 4:30am, we didn't wake up as early as initally hoped. My cousin and I took a drive out to Cambria Heights, Queens to visit the Rebbe's Ohel. Upon arrival we sort of stayed out front to watch people and see what to do. The Ohel is the resting place of the Rebbe. It's believed that once a Tzaddik(leader/holy person) has been layed to rest, that their burial site is a holy place and a place of solace. People from around the world come to this place to pray, give tzeddakah, and to write letters of prayer. I wrote my letter on the plane and came prepared.

My cousin, such a good sport and open to new ideas, kind of guy; he fully took in the experience. First, I had him go seek out a kippah for himself. I watched some of the video about the rebbe. When he returned, I asked him if he wanted to write a letter, as I know this was new to me but even newer to him. He sat down and wrote a letter. Afterwards we washed and went into the adjacent tent. When we went in there, I was a little unsure of what the custom is at that point. So I approached a young Lubavitcher, he was visiting from Ohio for the high holy days. He pointed us in the right direction then asked my cousin if he had wrapped tefillin yet. My cousin's response, "What?". As you, my faithful readers know, we were raised reform. Shockingly, we learned NOTHING about tefillin, had never even heard the word growing up. I'm proud of my cousin, being so open, receiving the mitzvah of wrapping for the first time and at a holy place. YAY for him!
We then went to the mausoleum where the rebbes are burried. We both went our respective ways, male/female. I read some of the prayers in the book, read my letter, tore it up, dropped it in the HUGE pile and reflected before I left.
Next we were headed to Washington Square Park for the Jewish Life Fest. There were tons of people, about ten in my group. Joining us was a friend of mine for 15 years, Peter. I met Peter in Jamaica and he now lives in NY. He and his little girl sure got a Jewish experience today.

At the Jewish Life fest Matisyahu performed in the blazing sun, there were booths with Judaica, art, food, and activities. My cousin and I decided to make shofars. I mean REAL shofars. We first picked the shofar we wanted, then we sawed the tip off ourselves. We brought it to the guy who was drilling the holes. Then we had to take wire and clean out all the dust and yuck. Next the man with the sander smoothed rough edges and made the mouth piece the right size. Finally we shallacked them. I love the shofar, but it smells like TUSH! I mean it, it's the most horrid smell ever.


We ended the day with a meal at a kosher Falafel place, Chickpea.
Overall, today was wonderful. I had great experiences, new experiences, and the weather was amazing. Truly a perfect way to end my trip to NY. Tomorrow I head out to the airport in the morning, ride a train, a bus, two airplanes, drive home, change clothes and rush over to shul for the holiday. Wish me luck.
Next post: Thinking about, what I'll do different in NY next time, or in the New Year in general.








2 Comments:
If it's a ram's horn situated on the ran's head, why does it smell like it was situated in another bodily location?
What's up w/that?
Help me out here people.
Wishing you a shanah tovah!
Post a Comment
<< Home