Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Shul Shopping Part 1 and Weekend recap

September 12, 2005

Shul Shopping Part 1 and Weekend recap

Since my last post generated 5 comments, which these days is a lot for me, I thought I'd try to start my first offical blog thread. I really do want to find a shul that I feel happy in, so, this Friday I'm going to be attending Temple Beth Am with a friend that is very active there. She is also having a small Shabbat dinner afterwards with a few people that I know or am acquainted with. Now that my kitchen is kosher, I can actually go to a kosher Shabbos dinner and bring something...which is cool. I'm happy to bring my kosher red cabbage with peppers and syrup and lemon and other stuff salad :). It's actually quite tasty and refreshing. I'll report back what I think of Beth Am. One dilemma for me is that I do not live in an area where there are many shuls. The Chabad is closest at half a mile. 3 long miles away there is a beautiful reform temple, but we know how I feel about that. So, if I am going to start going more often, or being active, it will mean driving on Friday nights across town, which could be a pain, but if I find a happy place, it will be a pain well worth it.

Weekend adventures: Saturday night was the get together to deliver the bags for hurricane victims. There was a small group of us, drank some beer, chit chatted, and met a few new folks. I'm getting out there and socializing at least. :) Sunday I carpooled with a girl I met via chosennet.com to a big Jewish social event. There were about 50 people kayaking and about 12 of us on one of the participants private boat. We cruised around Huntington Harbor for a few hours. This was a great day, with great new people. Afterwards almost 50 of us met at an Italian restaurant for dinner and then a dozen of us hooked up after for drinks at a small beach bar. All in all the day was fun, met some great new people, and I got out of the house.

3 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

You're lucky, at least you have shuls near you. The closest one is about 50 or so miles from me. I would love to join one and maybe make some new friends, but I don't think I'm going to travel that far.

But good luck to you!!

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in La too. Thank G-d, there are a lot of shuls to choose from.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger marty said...

Maybe you can try every shul in LA and rate them according to some set of criteria and write an article about it? Like Zagat's for Shuls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home