An Easy Way to Make a Difference...Kindness of Strangers

Today I was having breakfast with Robert at "The Mission" cafe in San Diego. When our check came, the waitress, Jessica, said, "I'm asking that you send all your tips to the Red Cross today". I was immediately touched by Jessica's committment to making a difference in a way that she knew she could. Along with our check, she gave us a little card that said how to designate a donation for hurricane relief as well as a pre-addressed stamped envelope. She shared with us that a local printer donated the printing, and a friend of hers paid for all the postage. I am sincerely touched by this woman, and the people who have supported her. Their committment, in my opinion, is a true example of how Americans can help and how big our hearts can be. Jessica's act of true selflessness is something many of us can learn from.
The timing of this couldn't have been better because I had just asked Robert that morning if he had donated anything for the victims. He said he was pretty broke, something many of us can relate to. So I told him, "Who cares, even if it's just ten dollars, it's a difference to someone". And there you have it, Robert made his ten dollar donation, I added ten to it, and life is good.
Any chance we have to make a difference, no matter how big or small it may seem, is a gift. Each of us have something to contribute, to give, to share, or to donate. When we stop seeing ourselves as small pieces to the big puzzle and recognize that without each and every piece, the puzzle will never be complete, only then will we begin to really make a positive difference in the lives of others.
I hope each of you makes a difference in sombody's life today, no matter the size.








2 Comments:
Heavens, looks like you'll have to turn on the comment verification thingy.
RE your post: You're right every little act of kindness adds up.
Took care of spammer issue, thanks :)
Post a Comment
<< Home