Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Update, Kashering, and Frustrations...

August 02, 2005

Update, Kashering, and Frustrations...

First, forgive my lack of blogginess as of late. Not only have I not been updating mine but I'm behind in reading many of yours.

Latest (ad)ventures:

Just finished my first round of grades at my new school. Slowly but surely I'm getting settled in. Since I don't have my own classroom right now it's been a slow process. I like the school, I like my classes...well, if you don't include my tenth graders in 5th period. UGH, there's always one butthead class.

My new apartment (well it's actually old, built in the 40's I think) is coming together quite nicely. I love the space and the location; just 1.5 miles from work. Only big things left to do are to hang pictures, curtains...and the WHOPPER...to kasher my home.

I was not raised keeping a kosher home so this whole process is a new one. So far all I've done is purchase new pots/pans, dishes, glasses, plastic storage ware, utensils, and silverware. I've gotten rid of some of my things that I know can't be kashered. I have a lot more to part with, but I am waiting for the rabbi to come and point things out specifically. I'm learning that this is a very expensive process. It's a great excuse for buying nice new things, but when the rabbi tells me I can't keep my Pyrex stuff (which I'm sure he will), that's gonna hurt. Kitchen stuff is not cheap!

I'm not sure what I should or shouldn't be doing right now so I have all my old stuff still in the kitchen. This shouldn't ruin anything because the kitchen wasn't kosher to begin with. Don't worry, I have not put any of the new stuff in there. I also have been watching for the kosher labels when shopping. I wonder if I'll have to get rid of all my current food since it was in the non-kosher kitchen. ARGH...this is a challenge. When I was at Trader Joe's (supermarket)yesterday and saw how many items I could not buy because they did not have the kosher symbol, I started thinking "forget it, this is too much, I'm not even frum and I'll still eat non-kosher food, just not in my kitchen". But, then I reminded myself that the things that are a challenge for us are usually the things that are best for us; so I purchased all kosher items except for two things. When I officially have a kosher kitchen I won't be able to bend the rules, so for now I'm going to transition slowly. I'm looking forward to having my kitchen all done, new stuff put away, and then having some friends for dinner. Oh wait, I only know a few people in LA. Sigh...

1 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Just take your time, Tamara. You are doing a wonderful job. If you try to jump too far too fast, the results will usually be very disapointing. Just take it one step at a time.

All the best,

SG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home