Hellooooo? Anybody out there?

I'm really curious...what do most people do when they move to a new city where they only know one or two people? Or nobody at all? I could constantly call and call and call my one or two friends, but then I become a noodge. :)
I'm happy I moved (at least so far). I'm looking forward to what LA has in store for me down the line; but right now, it's feeling a little lonely. It's not that I have a lack of interaction with people. Being a teacher there is constant interaction ; however mostly with teenagers. I go to Shabbat dinners on Friday, which are great, but it's still not the same as having friends to call up for coffee, or to hang out with on a weekend. That is the part that's lacking. I know the common suggestions: go to singles events, join a club, etc. etc....but even that isn't always successful.
Just needed to vent...thanks :)








4 Comments:
Get "business" cards made up - but with your home phone number and e-mail address. You can get them free or cheap on the web. Take them with you when you go to shul, etc., and when you meet somebody you'd like to be friends with, hand out a card. Mayhap the other person will also have a card. Then during the week, give the person a call or an e-mail, and make plans for coffee or dinner.
Or, host a Seudah Shlishit. Invite people at shul, and then after Havdalah, you can write down people's names and numbers.
Or...just call Joel. He knows everybody. I'm sure he can introduce you to new people... :)
Annabel, I can't do the business card thing. It's not me. I'm totally outgoing and what I consider friendly. I just find that as I've gotten older, making new friends is more challenging. Most people in their 30's are pretty well established, married, etc. I've gone to a couple of Shabbat dinners, went to a singles event last night (useless as always). I did get invited to Joel's T'Bav Oneg so that should be great!
Bohechick: Have reached out to a couple of teachers, but so far nothing. These things just take time. I've been there 7 weeks, the new girl...I'm sure things will change. :)
THANKS THOUGH...who knows, I might just walk down to Hollywood Blvd. with those cards annabel suggested and start handing them out like candy :) Or, maybe I'll ride the subway and bus and talk to other lonely people :) Just kidding.
One thing I'd say is give yourself a break. You can't make friends instantly, but you will find them.
All of the previous posters' suggestions are good. Classes, shul, etc. are great. Keep at it. In the meantime, use your free time to read stuff you wouldn't ordinarily do and catch up on some movies.
Don't be afraid to hang out with couples sometimes too. They sometimes have single friends!
WOW, I must have sounded really lonely based on the type of replies I got. Don't worry folks, I'm cool. Just getting acclamated to EVERYTHING all at once. As a matter of fact, I had a very social week (despite the fact I've been sick for 4 days).
Thanks to each of you. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home