Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Yiddish Help Please?!@!@?

June 23, 2005

Yiddish Help Please?!@!@?

This is for all my Yiddish speaking blogging friends. I read several blogs that oftentimes are written in (I'm gonna make up a word I think) Yinglish. In other words, a mix of English and Yiddish. Because Yiddish is a language that is often easily figured out based on context clues I usually can navigate my way through posts decently. But, today I decided to reach out for help :) I am sure I'm missing lots of good stuff by not understanding some things. Yiddishe Mamme's last post triggered me to write this :)

Anyone care to define, ellaborate or provide new info for me on the following Yiddish words (or any others you think I should know out here in the blogosphere)?

CH'V (and all the other apostrophed words I see often) What does it mean?????

"Waiting for the chupa to begin" - What part of the wedding is this? Do you mean the actually ceremony while the bride and groom are under the chuppa? Or is this something different all together?

"kesubah laining" - Is this the signing of the Ketubbah?

"uh, deech hub ich gezeecht!"

"nachas" = joy?


THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AND FEEL FREE TO SHARE MORE!! :) THANKS

2 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

:) I'm laughing at myself for posting this. But I'm sure I'm not the only one.

THanks for helping, I feel more Jewish already ;) (just joking, nobody is more or less Jewish, just some are more observant than others.)

I wish my grandparents would have spoke more Yiddish to my father, but after coming to America, the mostly used Yiddish when they were talking in private.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time you need to decipher a gevult or a gezzeecht, there's a cool online Yiddish dictionary.

http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home