Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: To love me is to fear me???

April 13, 2005

To love me is to fear me???

Another good day. Today I had to YET AGAIN 'crack the whip' as they say. I hate lecturing about deadlines and responsibilites. I am so good at it...and despise it all the same. Unfortunately, teens are teens and will push the envelope on almost anything. They will at least try that's for sure.

Some of my kids are lagging on their deadline for a final draft of an essay. Today I lectured them because if they didn't pass a "yes" test (a checklist of basics that their paper must have)on Tuesday, then they had after school tutorial for an hour with no other than me, their beloved teacher. :)

Actually, by 4th period I had the lecture down, the seriousness in check and the stern sound in my voice mastered. At one point in the period when the class and I were discussing possible questions they'd ask when interviewing a professional (they have a career research paper coming up and will be doing interviews as one of their six sources), I suggested the question: "Who was your role model that guided you into this career?". A student made (what sounded like) a joke under her breath.

I looked at her and said, "Yeah right". Her reply to me was, "No Miss C, I'm serious. You're hard and strict but your cool. You would be my role model if I were a teacher." All I can say is WOW!! I thanked the student and smiled inside. I think it's interesting that my first reaction was one of "Yeah right". I mean, doesn't everyone wanna be like me? (ha ha ha...for those of you who don't know me...that's called sarcasm)

I hope you had a fulfilled day too :)

1 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

Good question. I think I am good at being assertive and although I give chances when kids mess up, when I have to draw the line I do. I'm not saying I'm never a softee, trust me I am. But for this assignment, it was a department decision how we were handling late papers. So, all those kids that didn't pass their "yes" test...didn't come talk to me...didn't come to at least one of the tutorial days...(obviously I gave them plenty of chances)...If they did none of these things, they now get a Saturday school. This is a day where they sit in a class on a Saturday (or a Tuesday/Thursday evening) for 3 hours straight with on short break. These Sat. schools are a pain...I mean, what kid wants to wake up early to go? Tomorrow is the real test...I am too nice is some ways and am letting some kids show me their yes test in the morning before school and a last ditch final effort to get them to pass it.

Passing the "yes" test is crucial for one of two reasons: It gives them a chance to get feedback from a peer before I read the final draft. Second, it makes them fix all the basics before I have to look at it; in other words, it makes my job a smidgen easier...and we like that :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home