Shabbat...
I went to Shabbat services for the first time in a very long time. I went with a new friend of mine which was cool. I, however, did not feel a real connection at the temple. This shul is conservative but it felt far more reform than anything. The cantor was jammin' on his guitar for every prayer and song. Although I grew up in a synagogue similar to this, for some reason it just didn't connect with me. Maybe that's why I didn't care for services growing up. I think I'll start checking out different temples to see where I "fit".
I love the feeling of connecting to my own spirituality. The baby steps I've taken in my own life so far are lighting candles each Shabbat. I've also started kissing my Mezuzah when I come and go from home. Luckily I live in a small studio with only one door way :) I even make sure I do this at other Jewish homes that have one and at the shul last night. It's a nice and simple small reminder of my values and of my faith.








1 Comments:
Hi--First, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'm sometimes suprised at the posts that get responses.
I want my place of davening to be warm, to have a feeling of welcoming, where all people feel connected because the spirituality that people emmanate passes on to those around them. (wow, where did that come from). YOu know, you pose quite an interesting question. I never truly thought of it so directly. But, I want a place where people are there for all the right reasons. I remember growing up and going to temple. Everyone bitched and complained, but went anyway. What's the point? I want a place where I am free and comfortable to learn and to question without feeling like I am being judged.
This is most definitely something I will think more about. Thank you ever so much for throwing it out there.
Post a Comment
<< Home