Listed on BlogShares Tamara Eden: Passover Cleaning Escapades

April 22, 2005

Passover Cleaning Escapades


Passover 1 Posted by Hello

This is what my freezer and fridge looked like after I cleaned my very small kitchen for two and a half hours last night. I grew up in a home that "did" Passover; but as I learn more about halacha and the more observant way of doing things, I have found that we were much more reform than I ever realized. We had matzah, didn't eat bread, but I don't remember the futile attempt at ridding the home of chametz. I never heard the ritual of the feather and candle. And, I never knew anything about nullifying chametz that may have been missed or hidden.

This year is very different and I feel happy, warm, and blessed that my experiences this year have more meaning than ever. I've decided to keep the laws and traditions of Passover more than I have in the past; granted, I am not perfect and understand that I am not 100% "kosher for Pesach".

The things I've decided to do differently: First, I usually just make sure not to eat yeast or leavening. This year, I'm reading my labels for wheat gluten as well. I know that corn and soy and beans are not supposed to be eaten; although, the Sephardim do eat these items. Because I am a vegetarian I am conflicted on this halacha. I think I'll still have soy this week, but I will first check for wheat gluten. I discovered last night while reading my soy meat labels that they all had wheat gluten. For this, they are wrapped in that mound of foil.

The other major thing I did different this year is the cleaning of the kitchen. I emptied my cupboards, threw out the old shelf liner, and wiped everything down very well with Pine Sol. I took the burners off the stove and cleaned underneath them with a brillo pad and cleaner. I took the knobs off and cleaned under those too. I scrubbed my toaster oven with brillo pads and scrubbed each rack. The refrigerator is cleaner than ever! I emptied it completely, and separated the chametz. I didn't sell my chametz, but it is separated from everything else. I wiped it down, scrubbed EVERYTHING (even under the base of the freezer where I had to unscrew it and clean beneath...it was GROSS!), with Pine Sol. The thing is so clean and looks so pretty with the chametz away for now. That's why I just had to take the picture below.

Although my home is not perfect, it's so much better. The whole cleaning time was a great time of reflection. I'll finish the rest of my studio Saturday morning. Just another baby step in my observance, A chosen obligation which makes me proud of who and what I am. HAG SAMEACH EVERYONE!


Pesach Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home